What did you do to save $ today?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Get a horseshoe or two (TSC carries them, your local feedstore might, or ask a local farrier) and leave them on your wood stove to lift pots off the direct heat.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Good to know! That was the problem, unable to regulate the heat. We tried building a smaller fire and moving it around. It takes a long time for the woodstove to cool down and we should have just moved it to the regular stove for awhile if we had been smart, until the wood stove was cooler. We were trying to experiment and see if we could do it however. After all, the pioneers did this over campfires, right?

It would have worked fine if you like the taste of burned beans.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I got a whole bunch of white pine trimmings to give to the goats for browse. Figure it will help cut my hay costs down. And, that would have been great if I hadn't had to spend $217 for the vet! (I'll be posting about that in my journal when I have time. Right now, I'm trying to thaw out a bit b4 I go and do wood.)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I did not stop for a burger...though I wanted to REALLLLLLLY bad for some reason today :hu I get a craving once in a while. Maybe I'll make burgers this week :D

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I've been taking a break from the computer and didn't even turn it on one day.
I also made bean and ham soup this week. I used our own beans though. The only store bought stuff was the ham, potatoes and black pepper. We had the soup for dinner again last night.
Borrowed a dog kennel, cage type of thing to get out buckling in the next county.
Got our buckling and will hopefully sell him for the same price or more in a few months. Or butcher him, if I can convince the family :rolleyes:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We have gotten so desperate we go to the food bank distribution days. We got enough things today to make our whole meal for about 75 cents, plus eggs from our hens. Not bad for three people. We even got dessert and apple juice to have with it and some supplies for the next couple days.
Bless those people who donate food. We used to be among the donaters, but now we need to recieve help. Humbling. But the dinner was good. They gave us mushrooms too, which I never buy because I'm the only one who likes them. I sauteed the whole package in butter and ate it all myself! I don't know what a pat of butter cost but that was pretty cheap too.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
We have gotten so desperate we go to the food bank distribution days. We got enough things today to make our whole meal for about 75 cents, plus eggs from our hens. Not bad for three people. We even got dessert and apple juice to have with it and some supplies for the next couple days.
Bless those people who donate food. We used to be among the donaters, but now we need to recieve help. Humbling. But the dinner was good. They gave us mushrooms too, which I never buy because I'm the only one who likes them. I sauteed the whole package in butter and ate it all myself! I don't know what a pat of butter cost but that was pretty cheap too.
I've been there and it is such a blessing. You sometimes get some weird stuff, but for the most part, I was able to figure out something to do with it. I got really creative in my cooking ;)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We got frozen mashed potatos and gravy, frozen stuffing, cranberry sauce, green beans, a cake, dried cherries, raisins, two loaves of bread, and a bunch of vine ripe tomatos. All free.

I have a second turkey in the freezer so I think we will have a thanksgiving dinner in January sometime soon. Bless people.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Holiday coffee was on clearance at Kroger tonight. I got 6 bags for $2 each! And they're some of my favorite flavors... mint mocha and vanilla nut!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I killed and butchered a squirrel. I would call it free meat, but the fat little thing had been raiding my duck's feed, so I had been paying to fatten it up :p