What did you do to save $ today?

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Actually spent money to save money. I installed a wood heater with a nice flat top that will not only save electricity in heat usage, but in cooking. My mom cooked on one for years, but not me - thanks for the horseshoe tip, free.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I killed and butchered a squirrel. I would call it free meat, but the fat little thing had been raiding my duck's feed, so I had been paying to fatten it up :p
:yuckyuck

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Ordered seeds for the expanded veggie garden. While I feel like I spent a LOT, I will hopefully have a successful garden and be able to can and freeze some, as well as save on fresh veggie purchases down the road. That is what I'm telling DH anyway. Oh, and I save by taking off two of the seed types on my order before I made the purchase. They were impulses and I decided if I really want and have space for those I'll look for plants later on.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
WZ this song is for you... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nlnWfXe5LA

I too murdered a squirrel yesterday, actually BF Goodrich and stupid sqirrel brains did, but I hit the little kamikaze full double thud, but I swear he wanted me too! I could see it in his little beady eyes when he run to the middle of the road and stopped!

I saved money by working late tonight. I just got home a few minutes ago :D

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
REALLY :yuckyuck

Reminds me of that one car insurance commercial where the squirrel runs out in front of the car (or was it a deer? or both?), the car goes into a skid and hits a tree, and then the critters do a high five on the other side of the road.

Squirrels are MEAN! Place we used to live at had this huge oak tree in the yard. We would frequently bbq/hang out/etc with the neighbors there (military housing, shared yard). I swear, those squirrels would aim with those stinkin' acorns! We'd be chatting under the tree, and bam! a little acorn grenade would smack one of us on the head. We'd move, and so would the squirrels!

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I started a price book so I know how much stuff I'm buying costs at different stores.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today, I pulled out the dehydrator and filled it with sliced potatoes. Potatoes always go bad on me before they get used up, so this way, I can keep them and not have them spoil.

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
Today, I pulled out the dehydrator and filled it with sliced potatoes. Potatoes always go bad on me before they get used up, so this way, I can keep them and not have them spoil.
Anna,

Do you blanch them first?

Annette

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yep. I slice them (with my mandoline so it's really fast) and then blanch them.

Any that don't fit into the dehydrator went into the freezer or into dinner.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Continuing to get those hogs butchered and processed. Saved a couple hundred or more at the butcher's by doing it ourselves. I have fat rendering for lard in the oven now and a pot of misc. meaty bones on the stove, simmering overnight for broth and soup meat. Got 9 pints of lard so far! Got another half a bucket of bones to make more broth later, too, not to mention 8 hocks/shanks in the freezer for later.

We are sending the bacon out. I will make the salt pork and the corned ribs. And the liverwurst, head cheese, and cretons.

This is a first for me and it is a blast. I feel rich! :weee