What did you do to save $ today?

walnuthollow

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I got some groceries today and only got what was on my list! I even had gift cards for this also. Saved me $63.43! I can't believe how the prices keep goin' up!
I'm ready for my garden.....have to wait 2 months yet. :barnie

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I posted on Freecycle that I wanted a copy of Nourishing Traditions. I could have bought it from Amazon but $18 seemed like a lot of money. I got two responses and picked up one of the copies.

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I was at the feed store last night and they had a torn bag of my expensive dog food marked down - $7.00 off their regular price. It doesn't feel like there is much, if any, missing so I snatched it up.

I used to work at a feed store and we would routinely mark torn and taped bags down, too. I tend to forget to look at the feed stores now but this one jumped out at me. :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
I posted on Freecycle that I wanted a copy of Nourishing Traditions. I could have bought it from Amazon but $18 seemed like a lot of money. I got two responses and picked up one of the copies.
:clap I always forget to look at freecycle - hard to find anything of value on ours. I used to be really into freecycle. I freecycled my car rather than get $200 at a junk yard. Someone desparately needed one, I needed to get rid of one. It worked.

Anyway.. good for you for remembering to look elsewhere!

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I'm doing laundry today, and I've decided to hang up the hang-up clothes to dry, and only put undies/towels in the dryer.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I went into the local farm stand to buy collards for the iguana. They didn't have any, but had a whole bunch of stuff they were going to toss that's OK for him to eat. Plus, they had a whole bunch of old rolls they were going to toss. I have a pony I'm trying to get weight on, and I've heard from several people (including a vet), that bread will do it. So, I got a bag of greens for the iguana, and a bag of rolls for the pony, all for free!

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
So, I got a bag of greens for the iguana, and a bag of rolls for the pony, all for free!
You're lucky to have a store that will give you that stuff. A lot of stores won't do it because of liability issues- too many people saying it's for animals and then taking it home and eating it themselves.

When I raised pigs, I couldn't find a store to give me any of their discards. Everything went into the dumpsters.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't know if they'd do it for just anyone, but for people that they know that have animals, they'll do it. I've been going in there for years, so they know me. I've also sold them stuff. One summer I was able to get 30 bales of nice hay cheap. I sold it to them for $2.00 more than I paid, and they turned around and sold it for $2.50 more than they paid me.

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I don't know if they'd do it for just anyone, but for people that they know that have animals, they'll do it.
I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

Where I live now is more rural and I'm pretty sure the woman who owns a local "country store" (another name for high-priced convenience store), who I've come to know somewhat, would probably let me take her old produce. No pigs anymore - just chickens and ducks - and she doesn't carry enough fresh produce for me to hassle with it.

I used to work at a "country store" (high-priced convenience store) that had a hot case. A long-time employee there kept a big garbage can in the walk-in freezer and everything that was in the hot case at closing went in there and she took it home for her pigs.

She fed them corn dogs (sticks and all!) and chicken (bones and all!) and jalapeno poppers and everything else that was in the case and she told me she never bought feed for her pigs. (I never saw her pigs but I heard from others they were very thin.)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
Wow! That is fantastic!!!