What did you do to save $ today?

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I gave away another gallon of homemade laundry soap to a new friend. She's gonna try it and if she likes it (she's allergic to everything, except horses!!), then she'll buy some and spread the word around.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I wish our electric bills were only $75.00 a month! Ours are way more than that. :(

As soon as it warms up enough that I can put it back up, I'll be putting up my solar clothes dryer. That should help.

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I called and got flood insurance - last year the new mortgage company decided we had to have it and they got it to the tune of $1722 a year :barnie I got a letter saying it expired 3/7 and if I didn't find my own they'd renew it . . . my new flood insurance is only . . . . $319 a year :ep they were charging me over 5 times that :he Moral of the story: Never accept lender placed insurance find your own.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I went to my book club meeting this evening. We chose a new book to discuss in a couple of months, and I checked the local library directory, and found that they have it, so I saved the cost of buying it - though that's not really so much, as I would have got it secondhand in any case.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I bought 3 whole chickens at Safeway 50% off, so they were like $4 each. Because they were expiring today! (I froze them when I got home anyway.)

Country Momma

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Got a free bag of tshirts. Cut the sleeves off, cut the bottom 10" off and hemmed around all of it. This makes great bibs for the little one without the added expense of snaps, buttons or velcro. Took the extra material that was cut off and made some fem. pads.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
I gave away another gallon of homemade laundry soap to a new friend. She's gonna try it and if she likes it (she's allergic to everything, except horses!!), then she'll buy some and spread the word around.
Hi Murphysranch--How much do you charge for this? I have considered selling it but haven't worked out my costs in time and materials. Thanks!

As for saving money, winter seems to be when we hemorrhage money. I have a lot of frozen, dried and canned foodwise, but I put off all buying during the summer and fall as we are WAY too busy. Now is when we can't put things off any longer...

Anyway, my SIL has helped me save money. She works as a surgical tech and gets these wonderful 5-quart white pails with lids, plus a canvas/burlap type of towel. She brings me stacks of pails. I use them for mixing up soap batter, for freezing my berries in, and I sell "pails of pickles" kits at the farmer's market in them. I plan to ask my other SIL to sew the towels into canvas bags for our own use, plus for our CSA customers to transfer their goodies into.

me&thegals

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I sell it for $3 a gallon and acquired a future customer today by word of mouth :D Now I have to make some more ;)