What did you do to save $ today?

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I saved a almost $50 by shopping at Aldi's today!!!

I like the idea of selling my homemade laundry soap....will have to look into it further to see what the market might be!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
yourbadd said:
I saved a almost $50 by shopping at Aldi's today!!!

I like the idea of selling my homemade laundry soap....will have to look into it further to see what the market might be!
The market is about to get better. Have you noticed the cost of laundry soap rising lately? It's creeping way on up there. that's what prompted the sale today because this lady is sick of it increasing and packaging getting smaller and smaller. Good time to start getting customers :)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'm worried the price of those three ingredients is going to go up since they have become so popular. I'm sure Arm and Hammer and Twenty Mule Team are DELIGHTED at the interest in homemade laundry soap.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I'm worried the price of those three ingredients is going to go up since they have become so popular. I'm sure Arm and Hammer and Twenty Mule Team are DELIGHTED at the interest in homemade laundry soap.
That's why as soon as I get my income taxes back I am buying enough to make a LOT of soap. I'm stocking up on EVERYTHING. These prices are getting just flat out stupid.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
and don't forget we can make our own A&H washing soda now...remember a few weeks ago the thread about how to make it? So just the Borax and Fels is a concern really. I may make my own even if it doesn't go up if I can find a good deal on baking soda. ;) Trim the fat wherever ya can :D

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Making my first batch of laundry soap today. Went through my freezers and canning cabinet and made a list of 50 plus meals I can make with minimal store purchases. Wow! Stayed home from a one day meat sale, withdrawal pains, but freezers are full. I hate to miss a good sale. Cut up 3 whole chickens and parted them up so at .98 a LB. I have breasts, wings and thighs and lots of leg meat and backs etc. for broth. I am not that adept at the parting out but I am getting better. Breasts are pounded and whole wheat breaded for easy, healthier nugget packs.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Yesterday I had a Dr. appointment and on the way home stopped at a gorcery sale to get 2 loss leaders - 48% off, baby! :cool:

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Called around to a dozen of the nearest feedstores to price chicken feed. Boy, that stuff is expensive! And the prices vary so much: anywhere from $18 to $34 for 50# of organic laying crumbles.

Found out I was already going to the 2nd least expensive, and that the least expensive place is one I've gone to before and just didn't realize. AND they're the closest! I know where I'll be getting my laying crumbles from now on.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Watch Safeway (or your local store) for chicken that is expiring - I got some at 50% off because they were expiring that day. I just threw them in the freeezer anyways. They ended up being about $.70 a pound!

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
Called around to a dozen of the nearest feedstores to price chicken feed.
Another question to ask the feed stores is if they have any "discount days". One time I bought feed and was surprised when I got to the checkout to find it rang up lower than I was expecting. It wasn't until several months later that I noticed a little sign stating that the 4th Sat of each month is their feed sale and all feed is 10% off! That's when I realized the time it was cheaper must have been a 4th Saturday and I just got lucky. Of course now I make sure I get there the 4th Sat of each month to buy all my animal feed - saves me a bundle.