What did you do to save $ today?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Just made 4 gallons of detergent and cleaned the fish tank..I'm saving the water for my garden which will save me money on fertilizer :D Fish water is GOOOOOOOD for the garden! hope it doesn't get too smelly though...if it does I'll just pour it over the compost instead.

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I brought home 4 quarts of tomato soup from my work that would have been tossed out in a few days, plus 9 grilled chicken breasts, and enough sausage gravy and biscuits for breakfast tomorrow!!

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Little thing- had to go to mall to pick up DH's computer and even though we were hungry and tired we came back home (50 miles) I had a bag of chicken pot stickers from Trader Joe's (2.99) and I made those for dinner. Did not leave the house today even though I would have liked potatoes with the venison we saved gas and a trip into the store.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Last night I got a DVD about the national parks, then made a fish fry for the family. The total cost was probably about $5 rather than approximately $100 for movie and supper for 4. Plus, it was tastier and more fun!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I stayed home all day. We had plans but stayed home anyway. We'll go out tomorrow anyway for church and such. So I saved some gas...not much, but it counts. :)

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am gonna read all 151 pages of this within the next few days. I am late catching onto it.
Well today I went to the river and bought 1400 LBs of grain from a man that gets it in bulk and sacks it. Costed me 143 bucks. I have a variety of 4 types of grain. He had been sick, so I have been missing him and had to buy about 150 LBs of feed at the ag stores for 35 bucks every few days, but I'm well stocked up for a while now.
Yesterday I couldn't find any mayonaise, so I made my own....just a small amt with one egg and one cup of veg oil. I put it in a wide mouth mason because its easy to clean.
I was low (dangerously low) on egg cartons and rather than order a case, I texted my contacts on my cell phone asking them to save me some......in particular if they knew someone on WIC or a man that works on a boat...maybe I can have the boat's empty cartons, etc. I mean if I can get cartons from 15 different directions, it should amount to something.
I do a lot of crazy money saving things all the time, but thats what I've been up to lately and all I have on my mind.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Great deal, rhoda! I put the word out on egg cartons, and soon had FAR too many. Hope you have the same experience! People love to recycle, especially if they KNOW it will be put to good use. I'm no longer hesitant to ask. Most people really enjoy it.

I scored big today! I finally stopped at the Goodwill in the higher-end town in CT near where I work with horses and spent an hour looking for clothes for ME. I really scored! I just looked at the ones on sale for half price and got several DESIGNER tops and sweaters for $2-$2.50. I got a dozen in all....only one was a simple but unused-looking tank top to use as a warm winter undershirt, the rest were all designer names or "good" store names and looked new. I tried them on at home and only one was too small (miscalculated the size because it was a thick wool sweater jacket) in the arms but I bet it will fit my tiny mother just right. Don't tell her I didn't pick it out just for her. ;)

I didn't look at skirts or jeans because I didn't feel like trying anything on, but I will have to go back and check them out soon. My back was bothering me and I didn't feel like taking jeans on and off in a tiny dressing room. But I suspect I'd have made a killing there, too.

I bypassed a bunch of wool sweaters for $2.50 but I think I will look up some felting projects before I go back there, like the sweater bag that someone posted here a while ago.

Oh, and I also picked up three paperbacks so I don't have to worry about library overdue fines! It can take me weeks to get through a book since I fall asleep on them.... :rolleyes: