What did you do to save $ today?

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I cut both my daughter's hair and my own...hubby did a little post-trim trim :)

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
roosmom said:
I just decided to make pasties today. So my money saving is going to be buying the meat and grinding it myself. I am also going to attempt pie crust yet again instead of buying it. I will make at least 25 pasties to make it worth while.
That sounds delicious and since you will have at least 25......and you are only eight or so hours from here......:)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I went to the local Frys(Kroger) store today as they were having a great sale this week Carnation evaporated milk which was $.50/ea when you buy 10 I got 4 cans free. I had 2 coupons that were save $.50 when you buy 2 cans & they doubled the coupons!! They also had Campbells bean w/ bacon soup on sale for $1/ea & I had 2 coupons that were $.40 off on 2 cans & 3 cans, so doubled came to $1.60 off I got 6 cans & spent $.73/ea for them!! They also had Go-gurt & their store brand of it on clearance(close to sell by date) for $1.49 & $.99 ea I got 2 of each & put them in the freezer as the kids love it as a snack frozen. Just wish I had my go-gurt coupons with me then they would have been $.99 ea too.
I was able to turn off all my ceiling fans today too, no AC either!! That is a big savings for us! Open the blinds for light too! That's a novel idea! Opening up my blinds finally! Took the sheets off the windows I had as extra coverings(no curtains yet as I am very picky & ran out of money too). Besides I need chairs for my dining rm table more importantly(folding ones for now). Kept the tv off for most of the day too.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOW Pam you hit some good sales for stocking up. I like when I hit the holiday sales for things like evap. milk and such. they don't go on sale often.

yea, I hear ya on "opening the blinds" With alot of sun in NC and I get that direct hit in the front of the house, the blinds are drawn. House seems so darn dark but it keeps the heat down....but yes, I am opening blinds now too. I love the light!! :)

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Took the sheets off the windows I had as extra coverings
we use a couple of old civil defense wool blankets. We found them while cleaning out some old buildings at the firedept. we also found 55 gallon drums of water. in the city i work in probably half of the 32 fire stations were civil defense fallout shelters.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Haven't done much yet. We're headed out to do errands and I did make sure we all ate a good breakfast so we won't be tempted to stop for junk. We had omelets made with our own eggs.
Hubby is working on restoring an older pick up he got to replace the one he bought years ago that is rusting out. He found a guy about an hour away who is selling him lots of the little parts he needs that are missing for very little money. We'll have to go through the town where I grew up and right by my old high school. Should be a nice enough drive!

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
It is a little cool here so I have the electric turned way down. This morning I started a fire in the wood burning stove. When I started to fix my breakfast I automatically turned the gas cook stove on and then remembered I had the wood stove going. Turned off the cook stove and cooked my breakfast on the wood burner. It took a little longer to cook the bacon but hey, it's Saturday and I have lots of time.

So I saved about 2 cents worth of natural gas if I have even exceeded the minimum charge by now. I haven't turned the electric heat up.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
saturday

I saved money

met customers with orders, made money

went to discount grocery store and spent $18 and got great stuff at great price! Saved at least $10-12 off store cost.

THEN said NO to big grocery store. Was going to stop "for just a few things"--forget it, I have enough! So no money spent and am home working the farm now so I did well today!

going out to hang clothes now! :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Well, today I decided to BAKE bread since we needed another loaf, instead of thawing out the store bought bread. :)

And, it's another day, and I haven't spent ANY money :)

Also, I turned the TV off :) Turned off the lights we weren't using. :)

And used the woodburner for heat this morning (which is every cold morning since we don't have any other heat LOL)

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
O.K. I have sat here for more than 30 minutes reading each individual post and I am so glad to hear that there are still some of us who still appreciate the simple things. I am also glad to hear how you are trying your best to live by your means and not your wallet. Here is what we do here in our little neck of the woods.

First off we all sit down at the end of each month to make out a monthly menu for the following month. On the back of the menu calendar we write down the list of supplies that we will need for the meals. We then got to the store and buy whats on the list.

Second, we try and find ways to make things, lots of things, from scratch. We love homemade bread, pastrys, cakes, beverages, etc. Our list also includes snacks for the month. When we go shopping it is usually on a Tuesday or Wednesday. I have found that you can find alot of meat marked down after a weekend and before the next weekend. Also I have befriended the meat manager and he marks down the meat even lower if its around noon.

Third we try to barter with others. Like, I needed some straw for our meat birds and I bartered with a local fellow and traded him 5 birds for a big round bale of straw. Also we trade eggs for fresh milk with another friend. We also sell eggs to help pay for the cost of the feed.

Fourth, like many others here we make our own detergent and fabric softner and we hang out our clothes on the line. I love the smell of line fresh clothes and linens.

Lastly, we keep all the lights turned off during the day and we unplug small appliances that are not in use like the coffee pot, microwave, stereo, etc. We try really hard to save so that we can get by in the troublesome economic times.

Hope I have said something here that may help someone else, you all have posted things that will help us. Thank you all. :)

Latest posts