What did you do to save $ today?

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I went grocery shopping today (YUCK)! I did very well with my coupons and the sale prices. My grocery bill, before sale prices and coupons was $162.80. After taking off the sale prices and the coupons, my final bill was $68.29!!! This was a savings of $94.51!! The coupon savings alone was a whopping $54.93!!! I did so well, that the person behind me in line was asking me how I was able to cut my bill by so much. A Front End manager that was picking up money from all the cashiers drawers even commented on how well I had done. When I do this well, I just want to do the "Happy Dance" :celebrate and shout "Thank God for coupons!!!!!"

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Our grocery bills have really dropped since we really have achieved a healthy diet, probably 98% for me and 85-90% for dh (he still buys snacks when outside the house.) It has been a gradual thing, a journey we are still on, but the road is wide and well-lit now....:lol:

Today I saved money by getting a two-hour deep-tissue massage from dh! Another :lol: and a :cool: Then one of my clients brought me a huge bundle of chives from her garden, after hearing that mine were winter-killed (she'd brought me a plant last week.) They go into the dehydrator tonight. And she brought a quart of ham and bean soup, so I had leftover miso soup and dh had the bean soup, and supper was "free!" Free is good!

I brought my soaps to the office today and one sold! That was a confidence-boost!

I worked on the last section of compost pile fence so little Ginger could go out in the woods for a bit. That girl is growing and is always hungry! She even out-eats the fat pygmies! She is about their height, but it is like standing a young giraffe next to a couple of water buffalo...:rolleyes:

OK, I am really reaching here, but it was a work day, so not too much time to save.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
VT-Chicklit said:
I went grocery shopping today (YUCK)! I did very well with my coupons and the sale prices. My grocery bill, before sale prices and coupons was $162.80. After taking off the sale prices and the coupons, my final bill was $68.29!!! This was a savings of $94.51!! The coupon savings alone was a whopping $54.93!!! I did so well, that the person behind me in line was asking me how I was able to cut my bill by so much. A Front End manager that was picking up money from all the cashiers drawers even commented on how well I had done. When I do this well, I just want to do the "Happy Dance" :celebrate and shout "Thank God for coupons!!!!!"
OMG!!!!!!! Good for you!!!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Our grocery bills have really dropped since we really have achieved a healthy diet, probably 98% for me and 85-90% for dh (he still buys snacks when outside the house.) It has been a gradual thing, a journey we are still on, but the road is wide and well-lit now....:lol:

Today I saved money by getting a two-hour deep-tissue massage from dh! Another :lol: and a :cool: Then one of my clients brought me a huge bundle of chives from her garden, after hearing that mine were winter-killed (she'd brought me a plant last week.) They go into the dehydrator tonight. And she brought a quart of ham and bean soup, so I had leftover miso soup and dh had the bean soup, and supper was "free!" Free is good!

I brought my soaps to the office today and one sold! That was a confidence-boost!

I worked on the last section of compost pile fence so little Ginger could go out in the woods for a bit. That girl is growing and is always hungry! She even out-eats the fat pygmies! She is about their height, but it is like standing a young giraffe next to a couple of water buffalo...:rolleyes:

OK, I am really reaching here, but it was a work day, so not too much time to save.
Send Ginger over here to me, I have a nice yard for her to eat...it is too hot today to mow it!!

Primo Freemo!! Your soap is a hit and you had a free dinner for 2!!

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I keep telling DH that we need a goat or two (pygmies) to do our mowing. He won't hear of it! I will have to keep working on him!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, be sure not to tell him that they really don't care much for grass, but will eat all your ornamental plants and bushes and trees like little woodchippers! :lol: If you want the lawn nicely mown, you need little lambies. Goats prefer to browse over grazing, they like the leafy stuff much better, and will also strip bark sometimes.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today I noticed my beans are coming up already. Just planted them last Sunday. So, I got my handy dandy hand saw, and walked the woods, looking for downed branches for posts. Was able to get 8 of them...and get them set. For free! :p Oh, AND, I am thinking, instead of buying twine....why not use the baleing twine from the straw bales...in the greenbeans? Another freebie...sorta. Have to buy the straw..and I save all the twine...for...just in case. LOL ;)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Today I noticed my beans are coming up already. Just planted them last Sunday. So, I got my handy dandy hand saw, and walked the woods, looking for downed branches for posts. Was able to get 8 of them...and get them set. For free! :p Oh, AND, I am thinking, instead of buying twine....why not use the baleing twine from the straw bales...in the greenbeans? Another freebie...sorta. Have to buy the straw..and I save all the twine...for...just in case. LOL ;)
Good for you! I use baleing twine to hold my "bean cages" too! I have tons of baleing twine! I haven't bought twine for smaller projects in years.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I save the twine also. Comes in handy for lots of stuff. I have even made handles for buckets out of it. I just braided several of them together, used a torch to "cut" them, SO used his gloved hand to squush the ends together so as to stop them from unraveling. We put them through the holes and tied a knot on each side to make them stay put.
I also use them as laundry line. So far so good. I think next time I will braid them though. They might be less stringy that way.
To store them I just loop them through the chain link fence. I keep like colors with like colors, so it doesn't look too helter skelter. SO likes things super tidy. I always tease him that this is a real working farm, not on the cover of "House Beautifull".
Today I made another batch of dogfood using old ground turkey meat and leftovers.
I planted sesame seeds. We'll see what happens there. I have never grown sesame seeds before.
I also finished picking the bean pods off of the fava beans stalks that we had to harvest a bit early, do to the field being plowed. Looks like many of them have bug holes. I'll have to separate them when I shell them. I'll give the buggy ones to the chickens. the beans are too large for them to eat, but if the bugs hatch, the chickens can get them.
We sold some surplus plants today to a friend who had his plants eaten by a neighborhood peacock. He is now threatening peacock stew ;)
Last night's dinner turned out great. We even had left overs. So tonight we're having left over fried rice with pork sausage, 'coz SO has a craving.

Alaska Animal Lover

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi all!

I have a stockpile of feed bags from my chickens. I haven't thrown out any of them since I firt got chickens a year ago. They are a couple different sizes, and made out of a woven plastic. None are fabric.
I can't throw them out, I was thinking of making some reusable grocery bags out of them, but I thought I would ask my thrifty friends for ideas.