What did you do to save $ today?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I stopped at the Goodwill Outlet to look for jars. There weren't any, but I did find new (still wrapped in plastic) magazine holders, the kind that will keep them neatly upright on a shelf (2), new boxes of watercolors (2), new picture frame for a photo, a tiny crockpot (doesn't look like it's ever been used, will be great for making salves and such), tupperware onion keepers (2), a babygate (we always need those, for the animals), a cookbook, a "Cat Who...." book (detective story), and some other art and craft supplies in new condition (will be used as gifts for the little ones in our lives) and I am sure I forgot something, all for $10.00. It sounds even better now that I wrote it all out... :lol:

Then I went to TJ's and spent too much money on stuff that we needed and can't get at the cheap store (at least not the quality we like). But their wines are a good deal and I think it is wine time ;)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I guess I just sat here and reaped benefits, so does this count under what did I DO today? My neighbor dropped off about 3 dozen canning jars she had stored in her attic. Yay!!!

We husked some extra ripe corn and husband cut it off the cob tonight. It will be good for about another 10 quarts of corn, this stuff herbed and creamed.

I will be making my kids' lunches for the first day of school tomorrow. Basically I'm out the price of bread. The fruits and veggies will be coming from the garden and bulk fruit sales.

SimplyForties

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I made a hoop house for my fall garden completely out of found objects from my outbuildings. I only lacked the cover. I stopped by the feedstore to see if they had any row cover. They had 3 packages, which they said no one had ever even asked about before so they let me have them for half price. So I got my whole hoop house for about $14.

Then I went to Lowes for some other things I needed for my guinea/chicken coop, spent $178 and then came home to find an unexpected check for $157! That worked out pretty well.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Gotta love those unexpected checks!!

I was driving past the Goodwill from FIL's house and decided to stop in. I hit the jackpot! Got some nice large (1/2 gallon) canning jars, maybe 8 or 10 quart jars and a glass gallon jar. Also found two wooden boxes, that'll make great nesting boxes for the hens, so we'll have 4 more nests for them. An almost new pair of camo pants for SO and nice warm vest for this winter. I got a pair of pajama shorts and a cashmere wool sweater for myself, some small glass plates to fit inside crocks for fermenting, box of embroidery thread, box of rockpolishing stuff (I have a rock polisher, but was out of the grinding stuff), irish moss (new, in the bag, for making gifts), a large metal roasting pan (clean!), and some other items. All for $15.00!!! I love shopping at the Goodwill Outlet!

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I checked Craigs List FREE catagory yesterday(I do this every day). There was someone getting rid of 4 hedge cutters. I emailed and received a reply. They were still available! I drove to get them today.

They were about 30 miles away from my house so I decided to tag sale my way to the pick up. Boy did I hit the jackpot! In my travels I got for FREE a nice medium size AM/FM radio with tape player, a 7 inch Gingher scissors (good quality), 10 BBQ firebricks (they light and burn instead of charcoal), 12 inch steel frying pan, canvas bag, and 3 pounds of pears. In addition to all the free items, I purchased a kitchen scale for $1 and a pink glass bedside water carafe with glass for $3. The 4 free trimmers were all Fiskars, 2 were loppers and 2 had 12 inch blades to use on hedges. They were all in great shape and needed nothing to be done to them.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Today it's been raining and I've been a slug.
So what I did yesterday- I have been picking up twigs and small branches all summer to use as kindling.
The place I live has constant wood debris coming down- it's everywhere. Limbs and small branches of every kind. Most people rake it up into a pile and burn it as soon as the fire ban is lifted.
But earlier this year, I just decided that that was dumb- why burn something outside when I could use it inside.
It was worked well so far- I used some in the spring when I got my wood stove. I put it in an old manger in the extra stall where I keep the wood.
Worked very well- used very little paper as the twigs caught fast then started the bigger branches. One wad of newpaper.
There must be something wrong here- maybe it makes too much creosote or something but it starts the fire better than chopped kindling and newspaper.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Great savings, gals!

Today I put some of the hay I cut into the barn and tomorrow I will bring the rest in and maybe cut a bit more. It is getting so late in the year, I haven't decided if I should let the rest be for winter pasture or if I should cut a bit more. Hmmm.....but I have saved quite a bit by cutting what I can.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Wow you guys are really inspiring! :thumbsup

Today I traded a young Ameraucana hen and rooster for a pair of young Rouen ducks and a 15 week old Buff O. pullet.

I have one more Blue Wheaten Ameraucana roo to rehome, he is a beauty! He is going on Craigslist tomorrow.

His not-so-handsome-roo bros are going to be made into a nice chicken soup in 3 weeks. (I'm building my confidence up.:fl)

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We visited the Habi-store - it's like a thrift store with stuff for your house like furniture, appliances, salvaged cupboards, doors, windows, screens, etc for the house. The proceeds of the sales benefit Habitat for Humanity. I found wooden blinds for $20 and I bought a few books for $1. each.
Mark is having to replace the head gaskets on my Durango so we took the heads to the dealership where he used to work and they put them in the "hot tank" for us and got them nice and clean so the new gaskets can seal properly. That saved us $50 because they did it for free - Thank you Todd & Ray!!! Lastly, friends invited us to their home for Carne Asada Burritos for dinner on our way home from shopping.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
I stopped at a moving sale down the street and they were getting ready to close..I got a Breadman Plus TR2828 double bread maker for $5. Its never been used, but does not have the book. I have never used a breadmaker...so this will be a new experience!