What did you do to save $ today?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Cool. Something I've heard of people doing is taking an old broom handle, drilling holes in it, then putting branches from pine trees in the holes.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
DW made 3 meatloaves in bread pans. We ate about 2/3 of one for dinner, She then slices the others in to 1/2 inch slices and put's them on those sandwich round bread slices. She grates a little cheese pts mustard on 1/2 of a sandwich round then puts a slice of meatloaf adds cheese on top and broils. Yummy, good protein and 3 grams of fiber along with a little calcium and fat. Low cost dinner.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I stopped at Goodwill on my way home to get some paperbacks for a buck and came home with 7. Two were 50 cents...I can never figure out the books on sale.

My mother always admires my cardigans and said she needs some, so I decided to take a quick look. I found a turtleneck for me and FIVE cardigans for her in as many colors.....with names like Talbot's, Lord&Taylor, Coldwater Creek.....and all on sale at $3 each!!! :weee In perfect condition, too. I need to go there more often, apparently.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I love shopping at Goodwill. I went today. I was hoping to find some real wool sweaters, but I only came across one. It is a nice fuzzy pink one and I cannot tell if it is real wool or not. That is a good thing in that I will wear it, because it doesn't feel like acrylic, but I was looking for a sweater I could shrink and then make into slippers for SO. This pink one won't do. I also got a really nice big bucket with a sturdy handle. It will make a great feed bucket.

The other thing I needed was deviders for a binder. I am making DSS's GF a binder for her to collect recipes. She is always asking SO and me how we made something. Now she will have a place to keep those recipes.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I do almost all my clothes shopping at Goodwill or Value Village. I've gotten a lot of nice things that way for a fraction of the price. You just can't go in with the notion that you are going to buy, for instance, a pair of black slacks. You go and look through everything and see what is there that is a good buy and fits your wardrobe in your size.

This year, I got my "nice" Christmas outfit at Goodwill, a pair of beautiful black pants and a Christmas-y top. The top was five dollars and the pants I think were eight! So my new outfit was a big 13.00.

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am in Washington State, too, and we are very fortunate to have Value Village.

The best one (I think) is in Clark County. I used to live in that county and Value Village (and Winco) were our regular, monthly shopping stops. I got lots and lots of really nice clothes for myself and my kids there.

I moved farther north five years ago and the closest VV to me now is in Lacy (still almost 60 miles from home) and it is just not nearly as nice a store. The one on CC is in a very large building and is very well organized and very well managed and maintained; the one in Lacy is just not kept up nearly as well. Whenever I've been there, there have been clothes on the floors between the aisles and the shelves and racks are in disarray. Also, the last time I was in there, the prices seemed a little high.

I've never been to the one in Tacoma (farther still).

My local Goodwill is a nice store but very small. The selection is limited and has a quick turn around so I have gotten in the habit of stopping there almost every time I go to town. I may not even be looking for anything in particular; I'll just take a quick cruise through the store (mostly the household stuff) to see if anything catches my eye. If my kid is with me, he makes a bee-line for the books. A couple of weeks ago, we were able to find a nice pair of black dress slacks for his band concerts. Luckily, the black dress shoes we got there (for four or five bucks) last spring still fit. :weee

If I need something (clothes or household or whatever), I always check Goodwill first. Occasionally, if it's something I need right away, I do end up buying new but I always check resale first.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
savingdogs, that is what I mean. You can find such incredible deals there. I paid 3 dollars for this really nice sweater (it might be handmade, it looks it), and a few articles of baby clothing. How can you beat that. I also got several crib sheets, a nice little blanket, some little towels, and a crate. And some other items I cannot remember at the moment. I paid 8$ total.
I also usually have a lot of fun there. I am also making friends with some of the other regulars. And we have fun together when we bump into each other.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
When I was gathering my soapmaking stuff, I got it all at the Goodwill. I also get home decor items there and bought a HUGE carpet there last trip that covers a big ugly repair job we had to do on our floor.

Last year I was lucky enough to find a pair of snow pants for 10 dollars. Don't tell anyone, but they fit both me and my 14-year-old son....he would be embarassed to tell anyone that his mom and he can wear the same pants, but I think they are actually from the young men's department.....