What did you do to save $ today?

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dehydrated tomato skins and ends saved from canning last week. Will grind them up to make tomato powder when I get a chance.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Pureed some cantelope in the blender for babyfood. I will puree more later and freeze it in ice cube trays for GS. Got a pot of pureed and seasoned tomatoes simmering on the stove. In day or two, it will be reduced enough to be canned.

I have been harvesting the big sunflower seed heads, for next year's seed. once I have all the big heads removed from the stalk, I pull up the whole plant and feed it to the goats. I also feed some to the chickens. I have been doing the same with the corn stalks.

Laureli

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have had dry weather for quite some time. I have been fighting the urge to dry clothes in the dryer to save time. Keep thinking to self... :barnie the electric bill went down 25 dollars last month... gotta save money every day. Hang that laundry outside while you can!

so I did. :bun

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I want to hang laundry out, but the last few days we have been smelling smoke from the forest fire in Minnesota, and I'm afraid all the clothes will pick up that smell.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Who...where..what thread. Somebody posted on Dawn Detergent (environmentally friendly version), and I can't remember where it was. :he

I am still using the Soapnuts for laundry washings...along with rainwater. but on the really nasty stuff....I squirt in some Dawn. The last time I ran a load of DH dirty work clothes....I didn't think Soapnuts by themselves got enough of the soil out. But, I would like to switch to the more friendly stuff. Does anybody remember reading a post like that?

I checked "greywater", "making soap", "laundry"....

ChaneyLakegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Scored a bunch of windows today. Hubby came home from work and asked me to come with him as just down the road someone had a bunch of free windows out and he needed me to pick the right ones. I figured they were nice windows we could start replacing some in the house. Turns out they were just the windows, no frames. He wanted them to make covers (like mini greenhouses) for our raised beds. Not sure why he needed me for that, but the windows are a good find, regardless. :D

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Since I've had my light on my seedlings and have been running the dehydrator... I've turned off the a/c. Hubby wondered why it was so hot in the house. :D I'm kinda getting used to it now. Hopefully the light and dehydrator don't equal the power usage of the a/c.

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Found another pair of my favorite jeans for 6.50 at a thrift store. Will go back tomorrow for a pair of work boots, and a nice jacket that I should have bought. They will set me back maybe 15.00, but save me way more than that. Should have bought them today. Also picked up 2 oil lamps for under 8 bucks. Saw a couple of others, but held out hoping for 1/2 price day. Went grocery shopping, and bought mainly loss leaders. Need to get some breakfast burritos made up, using eggs from the ladies to trade with the other guys next week while I am working out of town again. Did laundry using homemade detergent, and hung the clothes out to dry. Made waffles for breakfast from scratch for some company that spent the night. Need to clean put the fridge, and see what other treats I may have for the ladies. Thats about it for now.

ChaneyLakegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Found 2 jars at the thrift store. Bought 2 big bags of tomatoes at the farmers market for $15 and got them canned. And I made 2 banana breads with some bananas that were ready for baking.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got 50 free bricks from Craigslist. Got several pounds of free peach and strawberry 'seconds' to dehydrate. Got permission to harvest the rose hips, chokecherries, and apples on my neighbor's land