What did you do to save $ today?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Looks like they flattened the field this afternoon, though, no more.... :hit

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maybe I'm greedy, but I wouldn't have been picky at all. Rip the entire ear off the plant, toss it in the back of the car (or truck, whatever) and process through it later. Anything buggy goes to chickens, anything that's clean and "of quality" goes to the people. :)

As for saving money, I'm making chicken stock from the corpse of an earlier dinner that's already been picked through twice for dinners. Also canned up about a dozen pints of green beans and two dozen pints of peppers, for a total cost of $10 (including jars). A friend and I were having "girl's day" and I bought a ton of green beans and peppers for $10, then we split them and she bought the jars, which we split as well. :) That was some awesome team work. :D

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My free peck of apples was canned with last years (leftover and canned) syrup from brandied apple rings. Also used leftover (this years) cowboy candy syrup for hot pickled brussel sprouts.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Its more of what have I done this week....rough week. After I paid all the bills, I had $54 to live on for 2 weeks, so we made a game of it.

Well, 2 days ago, I slaughtered 2 drakes to decrease expenses, help the ducks and prepare for Thanksgiving. We separated the feathers...giving the big ones to my aunt for cat toys and the soft stuff is all ready, along with last years to go into pillows.
Been getting creative with meals. weather was in favor for chicken soup and I found a jar with 2 necks, backs and giblets....got away with it.
baking instead of buying snacks. Big savings dar.
The store is almost off limits, except for the absolute necessities, until we succeed with our little game.
Helped my aunt peel shrimp and got a portion of it, which was eaten Friday.....pretty good eating for a family challenging themselves to not shop.
Set the trap in the orchard for coons, using the head of one of the drakes....in the hope of having another meat source.
Watching old movies from VHS for entertainment.
We not starving, as you can see. And we not crying, cuz we not in trouble. It truely is a challenging week, that we choose to tackle together. Been eating a good bit of beans.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It may be a rough week - but it sounds like you've got it under control. The bright side is that you had money left over after paying the bills!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Did this the other day, but haven't had a chance to post it. I needed a new pair of boots. And the ones I normally get are a bit pricey. But anytime I get anything cheaper, I'm lucky if they last for 3 months! Well, the boots went on sale on Friday so I went and got a pair. And, rather than get the waterproof ones which were more expensive, I did the waterproofing myself using mink oil. When I walked out of the store, they gave me a bag. It contained a visor, a sample of horse liniment, some post cards, and a nice long sleeved shirt that actually fits me!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Now that made me laugh right out loud, MFB! But, my 'chore' shoes are probably in worse shape than your house shoes. They are (were) slip-on tennis type shoes and they are so worn out that I can slip 'em on from either end, lol I've blown out the toes on both shoes and if I'm not careful the pigs will take a taste of my 'little piggies" (toes!)

So, I've saved money for about two years by not buying new ones - yet...