What did you do to save $ today?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Corn Woman said:
I paid off the mortgage early :celebrate Finally the house is free and clear and I feel great. No more house payment and no more interest. Now if DH thinks that we just got a raise and he can go out and spend spend spend I am hiding his truck keys.
That is wonderful!!!! Good for you!!!!!

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, mine is horrible and I'm the saver so I guess it balances out??? :idunno

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BB....I sure wish you luck. I once canned summer squash and followed all of the instructions in the Ball Blue Book and it all went bad anyway. If you see that it was successful, I wish you'd PM me the exact instructions.
Well, I made a huge batch of buscuits, mostly to freeze, so I can bake em at the drop of a hat and not have to buy store bought frozen ones. Not sure what I saved, but I think I can get a 5Lb bag of flour for about the same as 20 frozen buscuits....but I can probably make over 100. I baked 12 and have 63 frozen today, with left-over flour.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today we picked up a 1/2 cord of free firewood. Cooked on the woodstove. Feed the animals with free food that was giving to us. Picked up free cloths a client gave us. Did some contract work for myself. :) Start work on the upstairs to finish off 3 more rooms in the house. :) A good day all and all

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
BB....I sure wish you luck. I once canned summer squash and followed all of the instructions in the Ball Blue Book and it all went bad anyway. If you see that it was successful, I wish you'd PM me the exact instructions.
Well, I made a huge batch of buscuits, mostly to freeze, so I can bake em at the drop of a hat and not have to buy store bought frozen ones. Not sure what I saved, but I think I can get a 5Lb bag of flour for about the same as 20 frozen buscuits....but I can probably make over 100. I baked 12 and have 63 frozen today, with left-over flour.
I have canned both squashes and all has went good. Is your timing correct?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It was a long time ago. I had to pressure it forever, it seemed. And I used the correct amt of salt and pressure. Can't see what went wrong. I mostly always had good results with canning. I've never tried squash since.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
briansimon50 said:
Even see if you can help work someones garden for some of the harvest.
So, Brian, you've made 10 posts and they all say the same thing, relevent to the threads or not. What else can you say?
:/

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
picked up a working foodsaver for $5.00 at the local flee market!!!!!!!!! :weee :woot

it needed some cleaning but man i'm happy i have it!