What did you do to save $ today?

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mickey328 said:
We can't afford to get a pickup, but we need to be able to haul stuff. So, we shopped around and found a small trailer that will suit our needs perfectly, and it's priced for us to afford. However, when looking for a hitch...good golly, they cost nearly as much as the trailer! So, brilliant DH headed for our local junkyard and came home with one that, for just a bit of fiddling with will work perfectly...for $45! woohoo!
YAY! :weee when we bought our freezer scratch and dent it just would not fit in the back of the durango. they also had a trailer there at sams in the clearance it was normally $799 and since someone bought it and used it to take stuff home and then brought it back they couldn't sell it as new and I stood there looking at that trailer knowing I had a trailer hitch on my baby and I looked at hubby and asked what price they were asking for it(the sign was missing) the manager said that they had wanted $579 for it and then looked at me and that big ol' chest freezer and told me if I wanted it I could have it for $500! so I brow beat hubby a bit and we came home with a trailer and freezer for $630! and we have used that trailer and my mother has and his family has and even a couple people from his work and one of my neighbors even asked if he could borrow it as it was a bear to get his broker lawn tractor into the back of his truck! We do not regret it one bit... even tho hubby still rolls his eyes behind my back when I tell folks it was so worth buying!! Like he doesn't know I KNOW that he is doing it!! lol :lol:

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
There are things that are simply an investment. Being frugal doesn't always mean "not spending"...I think it means "spending wisely". To me it makes no sense at all to spend $20 on a new shirt when a $2 shirt from the thrift store will serve exactly the same purpose and last just as long. But things that you'll be able to use for years and years to come? It pays to spend the money!

We did a Thrift store treasure hunt this afternoon. Came home with some awesome ideas for future projects, like getting a used shower pan to build our fodder growing system, and a couple of in-hand treasures. We picked up the bed liner from a small pickup for $10...it'll fit perfectly into the back of the van so we can put stuff in there and keep it contained and out of the carpet and such. We probably won't afford the trailer for a few months yet so in the meantime, this will be a great thing. Plus, after taking more measurements, DH thinks the hitch will fit on the car with no fiddling at all, so we may just put the hitch on it and leave the liner in the van.

The other score was some ceramic tiles. We found 4 of 'em...8" x 20" that will be perfect for the bunnies to lie on to cool their tummies in the heat of summer...they were a whopping 50 cents each and have never been used so we don't even have to scrape glue or grout off 'em. Yippee!

LOL...isn't it cool how such little things can make a body happy? :)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mickey328 said:
There are things that are simply an investment. Being frugal doesn't always mean "not spending"...I think it means "spending wisely". To me it makes no sense at all to spend $20 on a new shirt when a $2 shirt from the thrift store will serve exactly the same purpose and last just as long. But things that you'll be able to use for years and years to come? It pays to spend the money!

We did a Thrift store treasure hunt this afternoon. Came home with some awesome ideas for future projects, like getting a used shower pan to build our fodder growing system, and a couple of in-hand treasures. We picked up the bed liner from a small pickup for $10...it'll fit perfectly into the back of the van so we can put stuff in there and keep it contained and out of the carpet and such. We probably won't afford the trailer for a few months yet so in the meantime, this will be a great thing. Plus, after taking more measurements, DH thinks the hitch will fit on the car with no fiddling at all, so we may just put the hitch on it and leave the liner in the van.

The other score was some ceramic tiles. We found 4 of 'em...8" x 20" that will be perfect for the bunnies to lie on to cool their tummies in the heat of summer...they were a whopping 50 cents each and have never been used so we don't even have to scrape glue or grout off 'em. Yippee!

LOL...isn't it cool how such little things can make a body happy? :)
That's why I love this site I never even thought of using tiles for my bunnies in the summer. I make ice in the soda bottles and use that but tiles would be great and I have a never ending supply of discontinued tiles at work. I give them to people for craft projects so I don't have to feel guilty about tossing them. I will keep a few for myself. Thanks Micky328

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I bought seed taters today, because we eat LOTS of taters! :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used to love growing taters - but we don't eat 'em now.... they don't fit into DH's low carb/diabetic diet!

But, I did save money today - cuz I fixed my tiller! It just needed the bad gas dumped out and fresh stuff put in. But, in the past I woulda called someone, probably my son to come look at it. Then I woulda given him some money for driving out here - so I saved at lest $20 bucks!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Mixed up another batch of tooth powder (baking soda and salt) for DH and made more cough syrup for me. (Slice a lemon and some ginger in a cute little jar and cover with honey) Keep in fridge and add a tablespoon to hot water.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You're more than welcome Corn Woman. I can't claim credit for the idea but I'm sure happy to share :) I plan to freeze the water for them too, but the tiles seemed like a grand idea since they can actually lay on the tile and get their tummies cool. With your access, you could get a couple for each cage and swap 'em out if they get warm. If you can, get the ones with some texture so they don't go sliding off when they get up :) The ones we got are pretty smooth so I'll just give them a little touch with the grinder to scuff them a bit.

Thanks for the recipe, snapshot. Will the honey preserve the lemon and ginger or should they be removed after a certain amount of time? This sounds great to have on hand on a permanent basis.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I just left the lemon and ginger in and added them to my cup of water. When you leave the mixture in the fridge it looks like jelly after a week or so. Mine lasted about 2 months til I ran out. I keep it in the fridge by the fire cider!

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks! Cold season is about over for us, but this is something I'll definitely mix up to have on hand come fall....and of course will mix some up if a cold or sore throat crops up in the mean time :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Even w/the AC ceiling vents closed, we still had a bunch of cold air coming in the house. Hubby took them out and put insulation in instead. It's much warmer in here w/out the heaters running! So, that's going to save us a ton!

Latest posts