What did you do to save $ today?

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We bought the flue/ chimney pieces we needed to hook up our wood stove. My husband just finished a slate fire back and hearth to put it on.:weee

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
ckmom. VERY cool!!! I have stayed home all week...thus saving money :p

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Fixed our garden-tractor, which would not start. Spent time trying things, inspecting things, taking fuel lines and fuel pump apart... Spent less than $3.50 for a new spark plug (which it did need). But still, no go. And then pursued some online discussion on a John Deere forum. Finally narrowed the main issue down to the carburetor - which I took off, disassembled, cleaned out with a compressor, and then used carb cleaner (sprayed into the tiny passageways).

Runs like a top, now! If I'd have taken it to the small-engines mechanic I use when I'm in a real bind, I believe he'd have charged maybe $100.

:D

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I actually spent money but the savings are huge. I went to a storage unit sale and the unit was 20x40 totally packed with food storage. I'm talking beans, millet, wheat, rye, whole corn, lentils, split peas ect. This was a giant hoard of nitrogen packed commercially canned everything known to food storage except water. I figured I would buy a bunch of the 6 gallon buckets and open them up for chicken food. Wrong!! I opened up the millet first and the grain is perfect. The chickens got some mixed with their lay pellets and the rest is now in my food storage. 11- 6 gallon buckets of various dry goods never opened for $55 and now here is the kicker the guy tells me to tell my friends and he will give me additional buckets for free so I tell everyone I can think of and he gives me 50 lbs soybeans a 55 gallon drum of hard red wheat, 7 #10 cans of dehydrated onions, all the canning jars I want (empty at that) and the icing on the cake! 2- 6 gal buckets of honey. I made out like a bandit.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just to make ya all feel better about your frugal day.. I did almost nothing to save money!!!!! :)
but I can't say I did absolutly nothing.. :( I did buy three sets of frosting squeeze things with tips for $1.19 each.. that would normally cost about $4 each set. they are orange and purple but they will not mind squeezing out frosting for the solstice or Christmas. love holiday sales day after 75% off .. :)but really did nothing else to save cash.. :) but will make up for it tomorrow I promise.. :lol: :p

emilie brown

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Went to church and then stayed home the rest of the day. Cleaned the van out. Made oven baked tacos. Yummy. :drool

emilie brown

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Went grocery shopping yesterday. I had $16 dollars I coupons. Staying home today. Raining and windy.
Making sloppy joes for dinner. I have to work, so I will bring my sloppy joes for my lunch break.

bubba1358

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I called around and did some web quotes for new insurance. GOT new policies saving me a combined $80 a month!!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Apparently DH has been sick and staying at our daughter's house, so I find out he has been using a potpourri bowl with tea candle and some vick's salve for inhalation therapy, so I went to the Dollar store and bought myself one of those bowls, some KAZ inhalation solution and 6 bags of tea candles.
DD had given DS a potpourii bowl and candle holder for his BD yesterday and after he saw my plan, he used some of the KAZ.....we all seem to have some kind of cold right now.
Anyway.....if you don't have a vaporizer, or don't want to set one up and use the electricity, just get your inhalation, potpourri style.