What Did You Ferment Today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Day 3 - good ferment rolling but it's more like apple juice at this point. Needs more ferment time to become sweet apple cider.
Screenshot_20231115_200405_Gallery.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Stacey's ACV recipe update.

Mother (SCOBY) beginning to form on top of the apple cider. It's interesting to me to see a new momma forming on top of the apple cider. The new momma will ensure all the sweetness is eaten, PH is set and the end the results should be home made apple cider vinegar. For us, it looks like we may have found a new use for apple skins and cores. Still have a ways to go before finished product though, but it's encouraging so far 👍
Screenshot_20231121_111523_Gallery.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks @flowerbug for starting this thread!

Nothing yet.. But, goats are due soon which means I'll be milking again! I'll be ordering kefir grains so we can get to fermenting some of that delicious goat milk!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Purple will be pretty on your plate. 😍
They say red cabbage (purple to me) has more nutrients than green cabbage 🤷‍♂️.
Screenshot_20230926-102815.png

Hopefully AS will ship green cabbage next month and I can do another 35 lb batch. If not we'll be looking locally for green cabbage. I know it seems like a lot of kraut, Since we fermented and canned 70 lbs last year. But we do eat our fair share and also share with family and neighbors.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use Offgrid With Doug and Stacy's recipe. I've never done it before this year so I'm hoping it will turn out. I put apples and scraps into a half gallon jar until it was half full. Then fill with filtered water(measure the water as you fill the jar) add one tablespoon cane sugar for each cup of water used. Stir it well and cover with an old cloth and rubberband. Stir it once a day, trying to keep it from sunlight. After two to four weeks(depends on your taste) strain out the apples by pouring the whole thing over a strainer on top of another jar. Cover that jar with the cloth and rubberband and leave for a few months(again depends on your taste) no need to stir once the apples are out. You get rid of the apples once you strain them, give to your chickens or whatever. It should turn into vinegar after a few months
Thanks - that pretty much covers it 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸