What Did You Ferment Today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm thinking it'll turn out ok for taste BUT sure looks funky :idunno๐Ÿ˜:fl. Not your usual kraut.:oops:. I love the purple mixed in for salads or slaw. This will be interesting. :old

I unscrewed the lid a little while ago and had a look see, looks and smells like fermenting cabbage only purple. I'll give it a couple weeks and see how it goes ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Jesus is Lord and Christ ๐Ÿ™โค๏ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've started fermenting earlier this month. Have kraut going, apple cider vinegar, did salsa and garlic basil tomatoes. The salsa and tomatoes are so good! Waiting impatiently for the kraut and acv to be doneView attachment 24665
I've had ACV on the list, we tried it once a number of years ago (failure). I should have some apples starting next spring, since a number of our young apple trees developed spurs this year.

If you have a repeatable recipe/process for ACV and are willing, it would be most helpful and truly appreciated, if you could share it with us.

tripletfeb

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've had ACV on the list, we tried it once a number of years ago (failure). I should have some apples starting next spring, since a number of our young apple trees developed spurs this year.

If you have a repeatable recipe/process for ACV and are willing, it would be most helpful and truly appreciated, if you could share it with us.

I use Offgrid With Doug and Stacy's recipe. I've never done it before this year so I'm hoping it will turn out. I put apples and scraps into a half gallon jar until it was half full. Then fill with filtered water(measure the water as you fill the jar) add one tablespoon cane sugar for each cup of water used. Stir it well and cover with an old cloth and rubberband. Stir it once a day, trying to keep it from sunlight. After two to four weeks(depends on your taste) strain out the apples by pouring the whole thing over a strainer on top of another jar. Cover that jar with the cloth and rubberband and leave for a few months(again depends on your taste) no need to stir once the apples are out. You get rid of the apples once you strain them, give to your chickens or whatever. It should turn into vinegar after a few months

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Purple cabbage kraut attempt has got a good ferment rolling.
Screenshot_20230927-134127.png

Anything that finds it's way past the layer of whole leaves and the upside down dinner plate into the brine above the dinner plate needs to be skimmed off and disregarded. It's important to only use a food grade plastic strainer or all stainless steel strainer to avoid contamination.

After skimming and skimmed trash yuck ๐Ÿ˜
Screenshot_20230927-134214.png

I'll check it every couple days and skim as needed. Some batches need multiple skims others just a few. Each batch behaves a little different ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ. I suspect this batch may be a multiple skimmer.

I massaged in 3 tablespoons of canning salt per 5 lbs shredded cabbage weight and mashed it in with a wooden ball bat. it released sufficient water to make it's own brine. so I didn't have to mix up spring water and canning salt brine ๐Ÿ‘

It's important to keep the fermenting cabbage submerged under the salt water brine at all times. Anything that finds air will turn brown and have to be thrown in the trash. So... patience is key here (no sneaking a taste yet) maybe after 4 weeks I'll do a taste test on this batch, because it's got a good ferment rolling.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter did you have home raised ๐Ÿฆƒ for dinner? The holiday made me think about it.

You haven't mentioned turkeys, ducks, chickens in a while. ๐Ÿค” I always enjoyed your Bourbons -- they're my fav as to "looks" for turkey. ๐Ÿ˜„. The Royal Palm are lovely, if they don't get dirty! :lol:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tried my ACV the other day. Came out pretty strong so it worked good. I (try to) drink some everyday with a little honey mixed in. And I used it for a hair rinse the other day, worked really well
That's encouraging ๐Ÿ‘

Jesus is Lord and Christ โœ๏ธ

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter did you have home raised ๐Ÿฆƒ for dinner? The holiday made me think about it.

You haven't mentioned turkeys, ducks, chickens in a while. ๐Ÿค” I always enjoyed your Bourbons -- they're my fav as to "looks" for turkey. ๐Ÿ˜„. The Royal Palm are lovely, if they don't get dirty! :lol:

Not this year, not a single turkey egg hatched. Still have a tom and three hens and hope for a spring hatch.

Jesus is Lord and Christ โœ๏ธ

Latest posts