What discontinued foods do you miss?

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
2. SugarTwin-used this in iced tea (no lemon) for years (Ma was diabetic) real sugar and other sweeteners just don't taste the same.
I'm pretty sure you can still get Sugar Twin here...

I miss the pitas that Wendy's used to sell... they had a chicken caesar pita that was fantastic! I was an addict and I've never found a dressing that's exactly like the one in the pita.

There really aren't that many things that I miss... as I've gotten older I eat less and less processed food, so even if something is no longer made I learn not to miss it...

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I miss the cheese the government use to give out for free at the welfare office. Man that cheese made the best grilled cheese sammiches ever. My GF in middle and high school (half american half filipino) mom was on assistance after her american navy dad found new love and skipped town. Because so many african americans got the free cheese in that part of town, a whole 5 pound box could be bought for 15-20 dollars.

The second thing to mention that did come back and went away again was pepsi twist. That was the pepsi with a hint of lemon. I remember it as a kid, than some years ago it came back and went away again. :he

I also miss the freeze dried beef patty in MREs when I was in the service. Wow, you sure could some good stuff with it.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Back in the early 60's. my mom used to buy frozen Po' Boy sandwiches. They were horrible, and I loved them. Just a cheap white torpedo roll with bologna, American cheese and something else...maybe olive loaf...and frozen solid. Mom would pry them apart and toast them in the oven. I begged her for them !!!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I found this site interesting.
http://www.crossroads-market.com/hard-to-find-grocer/

Some things that I thought were gone, actually just have a limited distribution.

I found Appian Way pizza mix in a box at WinCo. It was a BIG favorite in my childhood. I used to be allowed to make it myself, which was awesome when you are nine!

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hah! Cres and I were on assistance for a few months when left my abusive ex husband. We LOVED that cheese! Oh those were the days, when I had a can of cream of something soup, some minute rice and gov't cheese for supper and we thought we were in hog heaven.

onmyown44

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I miss chicken tonight French flavor. I can't remember exact name. Also loved Freakies cereal

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Milkshake candy bars. They are on the official "gone and not coming back" list : (
Ralston cereal. Sure I can order 6 20 oz boxes for $18 from Amazon. I'd be much happier grabbing it off the shelf at the local Big Y.
Wink soda. Can't get it here. Not sure we ever could in CT. My parents wouldn't let us have soda in the house. I used to have it at my grandparents' house near Rochester NY. Talk about tickle your nose and make you sneeze!
I miss Quisp too!
I'm sure there are others that I've forgotten so I guess I've gotten over them. But not that milkshake bar. Mmmmmmmm!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Oooh!! I used to like wink too. I'm not much of a pop drinker anymore, so I wouldn't know if it is still around here. My mom buys vernors still and I have one every now and again.

I really can't think of anything that I liked that they don't make anymore.--maybe b/c I've been raised by a scratch cooker and am one myself.

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I love the tropics and would not trade it for the world . I do miss a good real New York bagel. We have alot here in the way of fresh veggies and fruit and fish so I will survive.......lol