What do I do with a fish after I hook it?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Can I do the scorn thingy?

:lol: :lol: :gig

Sorry....couldn't contain myself! :lol:

Now I am done.

My brothers used to cut through the area at the back of the head and pull the head off and the guts just followed. Always thought that was kinda neat.

What kind of fish are ya goin' after? :pop
Yep, that's the method I've always used. Tried to teach it to the boy next door when I was a kid, but he couldn't do it. What a wuss.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Can I do the scorn thingy?

:lol: :lol: :gig

Sorry....couldn't contain myself! :lol:

Now I am done.

My brothers used to cut through the area at the back of the head and pull the head off and the guts just followed. Always thought that was kinda neat.

What kind of fish are ya goin' after? :pop
lol, feel free :p

I don't know what kind of fish I am going after, I don't know where to fish around here :) I assume there are spots all over the place, and I really would like to try my hand at flyfishing again, and there are rivers and streams and such in the mountains to try, but dunno yet :)

Thank you everyone for your responses, these really help me with understanding it :)

Speedysbigred

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
You are right about spots all over the place in your location: cold water to the west, including within the Rocky Mountain National Park; warm water to the east out on the plains - excellent bass fishing in Bonny Lake. I suggest getting a subscription to Colorado Outdoors, the publication for the Colorado Department of Wildlife. A world of information in each issue on where to fish within the state.

RockyToggRanch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
When I was little my grandpa told me that if I wanted to go fishing I had to clean whatever I caught. He taught us to clean a bullhead when we were 4 or 5. He helped with the knife at first...

I skin or filet everything...why mess with scales :p That's like plucking a wild turkey...not me!

Cindy

ThisOldCabin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I can't wait to go fishing again!:D

I know you asked about when to dispatch your catch.:rolleyes:

We do have limits on our gamefish.I try to keep my catches alive and try to replace smaller with bigger.Bring home the nicest eatin' size.I use a clip-type stringer and a basket too.

Filleting is not that hard to do.I like a electric fillet knife.The bigger the fish the easier it is.But once you learn how even smaller fish are easy.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We fished for striped bass all the time and we fileted them. You lay the fish down and make a straight cut just behind the gills. Then you turn the blade horizontally and run it down the length of the fish along the backbone. Stop just short of the tail and then flip the newly cut piece over so the meat is exposed. Then turn the blade horizontally again and cut just along the skin to leave you with a beautiful filet. Turn the fish over and do the other side.

Now, take the guts and left over bits and cut them up and put them in a bait trap and catch some crawdads!!!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
As my dear old Pappy used to say, "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day".

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The easiest way to gut, ever, is stick your finger or hand down the throat as far as you can, then pull up and away from the body.

I have a handy thing that I stick the fish backside down into, then do it.

Easy peasy!

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
As my dear old Pappy used to say, "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day".
Trade beer for Livewire and probably :D

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Geez, you guys clean fish way differently than I learned. We always cut the head off, and yank the guts out all w/one cut. :hu
Woah! I've never heard of this method before... Is this method easier and is there a tutorial I could find somewhere about how to properly do this?

Latest posts