What do you do to cut expenses down?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:ep brilliant! thank you for sharing!
Our oldest clued me into this. We also buy big jugs of soy sauce, olive oil, things that last forever and things we use a lot of. Usually they're a lot cheaper than smaller packages.
My biggest surprise lately? Tomato Powder. When son was going to move up on the mountain, he didn't want to have to deal with a lot of trash. He uses a lot of tomato sauce, tomato paste, etc in his recipes. The tomato powder is great! Just a couple of spoons of it when you want a bit of tomato pop in your recipes without having to deal with half a can of paste. I buy a pound at a time on Azure, but Amazon also carries various brands.
https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/.../tomato-powder-dehydrated/11327?package=HS562

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I fix and repair my washing machine...myself. I like the model and since there are no new ones being made. It is a Kenmore 90 series.
We have a Fisher-Paykel, a Danish made machine. Totally awesome, uses less water, spins clothes so dry it takes half the time in the dryer. The pump went out once, $80 on Ebay for the new one, Bill swapped it out in just a few minutes. He said it was the easiest repair he had done on anything.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I live a frugal lifestyle, I know no different.

So let's see here... Bank of Dad has paid for 5 daughter's weddings and sent 7 kids through college. Don't get me wrong, all of which were great investments, I even have my own personal attoney. But Thank God Bank of Dad is now closed, and Bank of Paw Paw is open for business :)

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We only ate the heart and liver growing up. For kidneys I'd check British recipes.

Liver and onions was how we usually ate it. I prefer elk liver over beef or deer. I don't care for liver.

Heart was sliced thin and fried. It was tough. I have a book somewhere that had recipes I wanted to try. The stuffed heart looked interesting and Mom gave me the heart from her spring half beef when we visited. Got liver and the tongue as well. She usually won't give up the tongue because it is so tender after you peel it.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I cut my barn cat back to 1/2 can of food per day. She's >10 years old so I like her to come inside daily so I can check on her. Canned food is good motivation. She doesn't need a whole can though! (She gets dry food in the barn too.)

I still get my little luxury, but at half the cost.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i didn't have a clothes line outside or a place to put one so i hung a dog chain between two trees, put the clothes on hangers as i take them out of the washer and hang on the links of the chain. works like a charm, dry and ready to hang in the closet. doesn't work worth a darn on sheets but towels and hanging clothes do great.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't dye my gray, although my best friend has her own shop & will do it free for me. She begs me, as most hair stylists just jump at the chance, LOL. Now, I've colored my hair in years past and for many years. Now, nope. It grows out too fast and I just don't always have time for roots and I hate that. My mom kept hers colored until the last....at 91+ she was still getting color. We each have our guilty pleasure. Wine & chocolate for me. ;)