What do you do to cut expenses down?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love craigslist. I can find bargains there and have saved money on big purchases.

We haunt the cull and reject rack at Lowes. We can buy reject lumber for less than half price. We built almost our entire 36'x36' barn with used and cull lumber. It really hurt my feelings to have to buy 29 brand new 2x6x20' for barn rafters. But we sure have a nice barn now. We are building a feed and tack room now, the mantra is, "if it is straight, it ain't ours! If it is curved, warped or something nobody would have, it's ours!"

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Same. I just moved into my Dad's house, as he is recently widowed at 94. Home, alone, at 94.....isolated. Feels he shouldn't be driving anymore. Blind in 1 eye. Getting hard of hearing. I came back for stepmoms funeral, and he asked me to move in with him. I hope it helps ease his worries somewhat.

it may be difficult at times, but take some deep breaths and hold on as best you can. :)

i'm glad i live with a best friend and someone i love. i wouldn't have it any other way considering all she's done for me. the rest of my siblings can't really do this for her. if i weren't here she'd have had to move or do something else.

plus i get hugs in the morning, daytime and evening. :)

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We live in a rural area - broadband internet is not available, to far away from everything else - so we have to go satellite with Hughes Net to get anything with decent speed. Wish we had other, more affordable options. We got rid of TV services and just watch what is available over the airwaves. Surprised at the variety of stations that are available. We have NetFlix for movies - we have 2 DVDs sitting on the tv-stand at any time - only $16 per month for unlimited movies - just limited to having 2 at a time on hand, lol. drop one in the mail and 2 days later we have a new movie in the mail.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I went looking online for women's clothing that's made in the US, and the upshot is that I've dug out my sewing machine and bought a couple of simple patterns for pants and tunics. I can make a LOT of clothes for the cost of one $200 pair of pants; especially when I can use sheets and yardage that I find in thrift stores.
I understand that this price represents giving the workers a fair wage and good working conditions, but I'm right at the poverty level, and I simply can't afford it. Hopefully there are enough more prosperous women that will be able to keep these companies going.

I also just finished unraveling my favorite sweater, which has sadly been left behind by my continuing weight loss. As soon as I finish the sweater I'm making for my son, I'll start on a new sweater for me. The yarn is a beautiful hand-painted mixture of merino wool and silk, and it cost me a pretty penny the first time around. I'm glad I can reuse it and continue to enjoy its beauty.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today I am being frugal by:
1. Teetered goat to do the trimming.
2. Line drying clothes.
3. Put several dishes from the fridge in front of DH and we both feasted.
4. Separated ham and ham bone for future meals and put in freezer.
5. Cooking free pumpkin in crockpot to keep house cool.
6. Fixing on cutting a free turkey into stew meat sections and cook down broth for turkey dumplings for one of my next meals.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The other day I got after my lil shih Tzu with the clippers. Doggies are hard, but I'm learning. She turned out pretty cute if I do say so myself and saved us from paying for a cut. Will probably take her occasionally to get the things I have a hard time with, especially around the face, my Cookie Bear wasn't letting me near that without a fight, lol I have considered eventually getting a stand to help me hold her for this and will keep on trying. Have been paying $40 every six weeks for the past year that I've had her and they raised prices to $50, so..

Hi Riece! I was a certified master pet groomer before my health got in the way of working. I'm happy to help you if you're interested. I have a couple unsolicited tips!

No need to buy a grooming table or stand. A grooming loop doesn't do a bit of good restraining a dog for a novice groomer and I find they get in the way. A grooming table is too big to effectively confine a Shih Tzu. I would put her on a wood chair and sit on the floor.

Most of the handling in dog grooming is the good groomers learn to never, ever give in to a dog that's resisting, but also they don't get reactive. They don't get angry or frustrated. They'll just wait out the behavior. The little well-loved dogs throw and epic temper tantrum (a.k.a. extinction burst) and then they are over it and cooperate with that groomer. Owners are afraid of hurting or upsetting their dogs so they end up giving in and reinforcing the tantrum.

I'd suggest getting a month subscription to learntogroomdogs.com or buy a Jody Murphy DVD.

Tools make a huge difference too, so if you have a bit of money to put into some equipment I'd be happy to give feedback on which tools give you the most bang for your buck.