What do you do to cut expenses down?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Old thread but, so still needed, useful and applicable! I'm still living a frugal, SS life...it works! It's a lifestyle. Read from start for tips and reminders. :old :love

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What I buy;
Fuel-gas and diesel
Feed for sheep
Dog food
Few groceries

I'm stocked up on a lot of stuff. I'll be moving, probably this summer, so don't want a whole lot of stuff to move, won't have room anyway.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Around 20 years ago, there were available my favorite jeans still made in USA. Now no longer made in USA, now made overseas, not the same good quality, and more expensive. Although I didn't think of it, I should have invested in purchasing multiples during that time when I had the opportunity. A lesson not forgotten.

Last edited:

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I spent a week with my son’s family last week and DS told me it’s hard to find clothes for the 3 year old because her butt is like a 12 month old and her legs are like a 4 year old. It was cold and he told me they had to keep using the same pants over and over. He gave me a pair of pants he busted through and DIL said she needed him to go to Walmart so I told him I needed to go with him. Found an easy pattern with a one piece pants pattern. They had some solid colors already cut in 2 yard pieces for sale for $1.67 each. I bought 4 colors, elastic and threads and a new scissors and pins. DIL had a sewing machine/embroidery machine that she didn’t know how to use. It was still in the box.
DIL was taking a nap by the time I cut out the fabric and helped myself to her machine. It took me maybe 4 hours to make these 5 pants. I used a pair of pajama pants she fits as a guide for size. The butt was the smallest size and the length several sizes bigger. I told DIL that I didn’t care if the butt was a little baggy as long as the elastic held it in place because probably the next girl will have more butt. We have enough leftover fabric for the shirts and probably a pair of shorts….next time. I am going back in March if I am not at work.
So I have to give DIL sewing lessons next time because she is all pumped up and wants to make a bunch of cute matching pants for the girls.
Notice I left DS’s pockets on little girls pants.

Attachments

• 7075D0A0-981C-44A5-A5FA-B77F307077FC.jpeg
    7075D0A0-981C-44A5-A5FA-B77F307077FC.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 130

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I spent a week with my son’s family last week and DS told me it’s hard to find clothes for the 3 year old because her butt is like a 12 month old and her legs are like a 4 year old. It was cold and he told me they had to keep using the same pants over and over. He gave me a pair of pants he busted through and DIL said she needed him to go to Walmart so I told him I needed to go with him. Found an easy pattern with a one piece pants pattern. They had some solid colors already cut in 2 yard pieces for sale for $1.67 each. I bought 4 colors, elastic and threads and a new scissors and pins. DIL had a sewing machine/embroidery machine that she didn’t know how to use. It was still in the box.
DIL was taking a nap by the time I cut out the fabric and helped myself to her machine. It took me maybe 4 hours to make these 5 pants. I used a pair of pajama pants she fits as a guide for size. The butt was the smallest size and the length several sizes bigger. I told DIL that I didn’t care if the butt was a little baggy as long as the elastic held it in place because probably the next girl will have more butt. We have enough leftover fabric for the shirts and probably a pair of shorts….next time. I am going back in March if I am not at work.
So I have to give DIL sewing lessons next time because she is all pumped up and wants to make a bunch of cute matching pants for the girls.
It is so hard to find pants for skinny-tall kids! I buy sweatpants for DS6 and sew a couple inches off the waist. :gig

He's almost big enough for Old Navy pants. Their slim skinny fit jeans will work. Thank goodness I saved some of DS14's clothes, but I'll be watching second hand shops to try to find those skinny/slim cut pants too.

I have stuff for sewing pants, but it always ends up costing me more to make than to buy.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well done!!!

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I normally prefer to go to the Catholic Community Center and get all my clothes for $0.50 each but the storm destroyed that too. But it’s great if you working with a small child who isn’t yet particular and you can create something useful. My best friend once asked me to cut her big son’s pants into shorts and put a hem so he could still use it for school and I used the legs to make one of my younger daughters a pair of kakki pants.
I am looking forward to seeing the kids in March.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A couple of days ago DH put 2 rabbits on the pit with green onion sausage and hotdogs. Well the sausage was too spicy for me but I suffered through a link.
Last night DH’s honorary niece showed up with the leftovers from a seafood boil of crabs and crawfish so I quickly peeled as many crabs as I could and pulled the backs and legs off the rest and peeled all the crawfish so today the chickens can have the peelings and I put everything else (sausage, hotdogs, onions, white and sweet potatoes and carrots) in a smaller bowl and put in the fridge….you know…consolidation. So today I am talking about what to do with the spicy sausage and I say the only thing I can think of is potato stew so the potatoes can suck up the seasoning. So I got that started and decided to add the onions, potatoes and all red meats from the seafood boil as well. Time to cover with water.
Edit….totally forgot to mention that I pulled the meat off the rabbits and put the bones in the crockpot and I am making broth to get a little bit more out of Peter.

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Some interesting reading and ideas. My passion is hunting and diving so my diet is 95% carnivore, I eat pretty much just venison/fish and Paua which is what you would call Abalone. Very cheap food bill which is basically Milk, Tea and coffee.