What do you do to cut expenses down?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm interested in recipes for organ meats, etc. I have some organ meats in my freezer, but I'm not comfortable preparing them. DS15 likes lung. I forgot how to cook it... :rolleyes:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm interested in recipes for organ meats, etc. I have some organ meats in my freezer, but I'm not comfortable preparing them. DS15 likes lung. I forgot how to cook it... :rolleyes:

the only form of organ meat that i really like is sausages with plenty of spices so i don't really know what it is. liverwurst/braunschweiger is my favorite - but i'm really picky about the brand. others i will try but generally am leery of spending a lot of $ on something i may not like so prefer to have sample before buying a whole chunk. i limit how much i have a month to a few servings because otherwise i'd eat too much of it and it has a lot calories and fats i don't really need.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We only ate the heart and liver growing up. For kidneys I'd check British recipes.

Liver and onions was how we usually ate it. I prefer elk liver over beef or deer. I don't care for liver.

Heart was sliced thin and fried. It was tough. I have a book somewhere that had recipes I wanted to try. The stuffed heart looked interesting and Mom gave me the heart from her spring half beef when we visited. Got liver and the tongue as well. She usually won't give up the tongue because it is so tender after you peel it.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My money-saving theme for the day is minimizing food waste.
  • I found a couple packages of meat in the freezer from 2019. Mutton. :sick I'm cooking it for the dogs, and the chickens will get whatever sticks to the bones. I put potatoes (purchased on a loss leader sale) and 2 spaghetti squash (bought as fall decor for much less than the grocery store prices!) in the oven at the same time.
  • I sliced celery to dehydrate. The tops don't go through the mandoline well, so I saved them for broth. I put the celery "butts" into the food processor to chop into slaw for my chickens. I'm making broth with a venison neck from 2020.

• DS7 is gorging on pomegranate arils. :gig I got pomegranates for $0.50 each at the discount grocery store. Today is the day to eat or preserve them. He plans to save some for school lunch, and make juice with the rest.
  • I had 2 bags of cranberries left over after making fermented cranberry sauce. I made 2 quarts of cranberry juice from them. I tossed the squishy cranberries into the food pressor for my chickens. I'm feeling lazy, so I gave them the leftover pulp too. (I could have put it through the food mill to make cranberry sauce).
  • I bought day-old baguettes this week. We had some with meals. I cut up the leftovers for stuffing and saved the breadcrumbs for casseroles.

Last edited:

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I found a couple packages of meat in the freezer from 2019. Mutton. :sick I'm cooking it for the dogs, and the chickens will get whatever sticks to the bones. I put potatoes in the oven at the same time.

I need to get something else ready to put in next while the oven is still hot. This oven is slow to preheat, so I hate to use it. But if its already hot, I bake as much as I can!
cake, brownies, enchiladas, hotdish, goulash....the list is endless :)