What do you do to cut expenses down?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I spent a few bucks on a snap set and replaced the ones that came off my heavy flannel shirt I use as a work jacket. That thing is getting old and the nearest I've found to replace it was over $50. Snaps were cheaper. I've mended itp a few times but it's almost irreplaceable.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The younger generations are only used to "use & discard". Many don't even know about repairs, cleaning stains, etc.
But then -- looking at my old clothes I see quality that is not often part of the newer throw aways. Trust me, I have a lot of old. LOL

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I buy all my jeans at Vanity Fair Outlet, seldom pay over $6-$10 for jeans. There is one about an hour from us, I am on the preferred customer list and will get texts of 10% to 20% off sales on certain days. That is usually when we go. We buy shirts, jeans, underwear, socks, all for cheap. I wear Lee jeans, DH wears Wranglers.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wear Wranglers because they fit and have real pockets. They usually last about 3 years with me alternating 2 pairs. With Levis I'd be lucky to get a year. It was the same for hubby. Levis would go 2 to 6 months but the Wrangler Riggs lasted about 2 years when he was doing all the crawling around inside helicopters.

Ive never figured out why womens clothes are tissue thin now. It's also gotten hard to find 100% cotton tees. I hate the feel of polyester and rayon shirts.

Todays fast fashion is wasteful. It's only meant to last once season.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There are a few websites out there that might be worth looking over. They usually have names like Buy it Once, or Buy Me Once. The products cost more, but come with lifetime warranty and such.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mom hits the local thrift stores looking for fabric she can use on her quilts. we pick up some pretty nice shirts for a few dollars as we use long sleeved shirts for gardening.

when i had been off work and moving around for some years and then went back to part time work at a local library i needed some clothes for that. cost me all of $40 to get three pair of dress pants, four sweaters, six shirts and a belt. i had to buy new dress shoes (i won't wear someone else's used shoes unless they're crocs or i can soak them and bleach them). i have a few nice garden hats now that we picked up for $2 each.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Socks? I have strange feet. I raid hubby's sock drawer b/c I can't stand the way women's socks fit my feet and ankles/calves. They actually fit pretty well through the foot. But, they often ride up on my foot, putting a lot of pressure on my Morton's toe. Then, to add insult to injury, they tend to twist around on my feet as I walk, so the heel ends up on top of my ankle. Not to mention, I wear them out like crazy! I can't stand the pink tax on women's clothing and foot wear. Should be illegal!

i have a sock today which keeps turning upside down. the other one doesn't. been having fun all day with it.