What do you do to cut expenses down?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Weirdly I have no issues ingesting it. I can even use it as an antacid.

THAT is weird!! Often it is ingesting that sets things like that off. Is your skin super sensitive to little thought issues -- soaps, dyes, etc? How about materials, in clothing?

No wonder you find relief in many home made sources. Like Bay...woooweee...not fun to get such reactions. Limiting, also.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just did this this morning - I made 3-2-1 Cake Mix so I can make individual sized cakes for desert. I usually end up throwing away cake if I make a full-sized cake, the 2 of us just don't eat a whole 9x13 cake before we are tired of it or it dries out - and freezing it just ends up with a bag of crumbled dry cake crumbs.

My new discovery is that using a yellow cake mix with the angelfood cake mix (I always did chocolate before) allows me to add fruit to the cake and it is really delicious. I made cherry cake this morning. Add enough fruit and you end up with a cobbler.
This is the first I've heard of it. Can you post the recipe in a new link in the kitchen/food part of the forum? It sounds like something that would go over pretty good here.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
RETURN MAILERS - no postage needed. The envelope the movie comes in tears off a flap and then it will stick down a shorter flap to send back out. Just insert disk, stick the flap down and put into mailbox.

You go through their listing on-line and select movies that you would like to see. Your list is prioritized so what is on top is what they will try to send, but you may not get them in order of 1-2-3. If they are new movies and very popular, you may need to wait for someone to send back a disk, so in the mean time, they will send your 4th choice, or your 12th choice, depending on what is available. I think we have 30 requests on our list - but we have had the last 2 movies for 3 months, lol.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we don't have cable tv or internet via the phone company. it took some guy putting up radio packet network towers to get decent internet here. satelite was too expensive and i heard too many negatives about those companies to want to get involved with them. i've been mostly happy with the service i have. Mom watches DVDs quite a bit from the library.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It has come to my attention that we have a lot of new members and it's been a long time since we had a thread about what we do to save money. Maybe the new folks would have a new way we hadn't thought about and maybe some of the oldsters wouldn't mind repeating their advice just one more time?

After that, maybe we could sticky it?
Besides recycling food, saving water will be second, we really have a large water bill, so saving water is the best thing to do.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas! I may have to try canning some chicken. I got a great deal on chuck roasts some time ago and canned it. While it was convenient...I wasn't overly thrilled with the texture. Maybe I'm just picky. I did can some ground meat and vegetable soup once that turned out pretty well. I think I just need to branch out and try more recipes.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I canned a bunch of goat milk a couple years ago. Not something I'll do again... yuck! :sick

I guess it would be ok in an emergency situation - but for now the dogs are loving it.