What do you do to cut expenses down?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How do you like the dehydrated products, now that you've had time to try them?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The one thing I've found is you need to be patient about rehydrating them. If you try to rush it, especially larger pieces of meat, you end up with a hard, even crunchy, layer in the middle. Some foods I've found rehydrate very fast; notably chopped onions and peppers, and baby shrimp
Texture when cooked is very similar to cooking with frozen foods. I know I absolutely adore crunching on FD beet slices (cooked, then FD)... it's a wonderful crunchy sweet snack.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I live a frugal lifestyle, I know no different.

So let's see here... Bank of Dad has paid for 5 daughter's weddings and sent 7 kids through college. Don't get me wrong, all of which were great investments, I even have my own personal attoney. But Thank God Bank of Dad is now closed, and Bank of Paw Paw is open for business :)

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thank God Bank of Dad is now closed, and Bank of Paw Paw is open for business :)

Nice change. Thankfully, I have only ONE DGrand to assist and she is very, very easy on the wallet. Working and has scholarship pd college for Fall, 2020. Proud and thrilled.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Texture when cooked is very similar to cooking with frozen foods. I know I absolutely adore crunching on FD beet slices (cooked, then FD)... it's a wonderful crunchy sweet snack.

I like beet chips but, only have had ones I buy. Have directions to made & plan to try this year to make some. The FD does retain a lot of the color in food. Dehydrators often change that, although taste is still good. Here, only the dehydrator fit the wallet. :D But I honestly know I would not use a FD enough to justify the cost, so I'm ok with my set up.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think mine has already paid for itself; but then, I've been drying lots of meat products. Try pricing a #10 can of beef!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
finished rendering the tallow from the trimmings from those chuck rolls. I ended up with almost a quart of nice white tallow, and a bunch of "cracklins"-- my dog loves me.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sub title: saving money on rx meds:

Trying to get resp rx. filled for me. MD office requires a telephone appointment with me so they can get their $$$ out of me. Then... rx will be provided. In the mean time, I'm doing homework. One pill is $500+ for a 3 month supply. (out of pocket cost) I have a 500 deductible, which means I must pay that before ANYTHING is covered. Called insurance company back. Rep mentioned a program called "Good RX." Have any of you used this? My research tells me that I can get this med for less than $11/mo. That seems like a no brainer to me.

Insurance rep also told me to demand a pharmacy test claim. Called back local pharmacy (after they quoted the >$500 price, asked for a test claim, and they quoted $15.00 for a 90 day supply. So... either pharmacy or insurance company is out to lunch.

Latest posts