What do you do to cut expenses down?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sub title: saving money on rx meds:

Trying to get resp rx. filled for me. MD office requires a telephone appointment with me so they can get their $$$ out of me. Then... rx will be provided. In the mean time, I'm doing homework. One pill is $500+ for a 3 month supply. (out of pocket cost) I have a 500 deductible, which means I must pay that before ANYTHING is covered. Called insurance company back. Rep mentioned a program called "Good RX." Have any of you used this? My research tells me that I can get this med for less than $11/mo. That seems like a no brainer to me.

Insurance rep also told me to demand a pharmacy test claim. Called back local pharmacy (after they quoted the >$500 price, asked for a test claim, and they quoted $15.00 for a 90 day supply. So... either pharmacy or insurance company is out to lunch.

That's Bassawkwords

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah, it is. If my insurance rep hadn't told me about the GoodRx option, I'd not known there was an option to save money. Yet one more glaring example of how broke the system is: Pay $500 + with insurance for the same med that can be bought for less than $16. Insane. Obscene. I don't know how these people can sleep at night when they are gouging the daylights out of folks who need medications.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, it is. If my insurance rep hadn't told me about the GoodRx option, I'd not known there was an option to save money. Yet one more glaring example of how broke the system is: Pay $500 + with insurance for the same med that can be bought for less than $16. Insane. Obscene. I don't know how these people can sleep at night when they are gouging the daylights out of folks who need medications

Our system is broken!! Clearly sinful.

A friend, whose DH is on chemo, found out she could get a "manufacturer paid" rebate to the pharmacy/doctor, etc. to offset her co pays....$2,300!!!! Since her co pay for Jan/Feb was 2500 (her ins policy max), she was thrilled....So, last year?? Hmmm...who kept that $$??

If WE got caught robbing like that -- I see felony record & jail time.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just think of the untold millions of $$$ that are scammed because the consumer doesn't know enough to ask questions????? And, it's not a matter of not knowing to ask questions. It's a matter of knowing what questions to ask and who to ask them to. Then, it's the matter of the person who you are asking: Do they give enough of a fig to even care to answer you truthfully and ethically????

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I anyone wants to explore the medical expenses and what to do about it, the book Selling Sickness is amazing. Horrifying. Enraging.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i'm so glad i was able to come up with a routine for dealing with my pollen reactions. wash and rinse works very well for me, haven't needed any meds for years and no sinus infections either.

Latest posts