What do you do with your brown paper bags?

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I've got probably 12 canvas bags from various sources and two of the newer recycled bags. I try to use them all the time, they're in my trunk, so I always have them. But I do like to get paper bags occasionally, I use them mainly to recycle my newspapers and cardboard, the whole thing just goes into the compactor at the transfer station.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Hehe...everyone beat me to it...book covers and such. I have heard of the wallpaper idea that Georgiagirl did...never have seen it, though. I also have heard of some using them as floormats for their car. They put them down if they have 'dirty' things to get, or muddy feet. I think you could also use them as shelf liners, or drawer liners.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Oh, that brings back memories! We never had anything BUT brown paper bags with which to make book covers when I was young. So funny that someone should mention that!

We sometimes will lay them in the floormat of the vehicle for the winter to keep things from being so muddy and wet...then they get put on the compost when we have gotten them ragged from use. They seem to do better than newspapers for this use, stay put better.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH has always told me that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

I used to use small paperbags(lunchbag size) to store my produce in the fridge.You put paper towels inside and put your washed produce in it. Fold the top, label and things stay fresh much longer. My Mom still does this, I don't because I don't see the produce so I forget I have it.

I have heard/seen things on wallpaper but I thought it would be hard to clean.

I always used them for bookcovers also. DGD who just started the fifth grade so she now actually has real books(stupid CA) told me that her teacher wanted them to cover their books. She wanted to buy bookcovers. I told her NO, you can cover them with paperbags, I will show you how. She gave me the funniest look, like I was going crazy! We haven't done it yet, been too busy. We will start this week though.

I have used them for wrapping paper also. I like Morelcabins idea of the raffia and pinecones instead of stamping and coloring. I think I'll do that this year.

Theyare great for draing fried foods, wrapping potluck dishes, cleaning out the fireplace and bbq.

Monica

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
They make a beautiful, homespun-looking Christmas wrapping paper with just the simple accents like Morel describes. I've done this more times than I can say and "the other" folks find it charming and innovative! :D

I had the same concerns about the wallpaper, but feel if one could use a matte polyurethane on it to seal it, it could be easier to keep clean. If not, I can imagine oil stains from hands on it.

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like the other people love the canvas bags. Its so much easier to just take my own bag in grocery shopping than to worry about what to do with a left over plastic or paper bag.

myzanya

Power Conserver
Reaction score
best tasting hot dog buns ever...
put in brown paper bag
run under water
place in 300 oven...
comes out crispy and delish

FranklinStreetWest

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I use them as weed barrier under mulch in the landscaping. Spread down, wet them to hold them in place and mesh them together, spread mulch over top. Also works good for paths in the vegetable garden...A thick layer without mulch on in your foot paths will crust together and keep weeds out.

I also use them as a the bottom lining in anything I keep an animal in, with bedding over top.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I save any paper bags we get and use them for drying my seeds.

Another one who is old enough to remember using them for book covers! :frow

Latest posts