What do you do with your brown paper bags?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Okiemommy said:
Oh what a neat idea Miss_thenorth! Do you do that to keep the food fresh longer?

(I apologize for my ignorance, I have been living in a tri-fecta toddler bubble for the last four years)

:lol:

ETA: I'm also one of those people that's not afraid to ask questions, b/c I believe someone else is out there that would like to ask, but wont :p
It's not science, but I think it helps absorb some of the humidity/moisture the produce has, and when it gets skunky, i just toss the paper out. You know there is always one fruit in the back of the crisper that gets forgotten, as in rotten, and leaks all over the place. This saves me alot of cleaning--I hate cleaning.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
That's handy! Do you notice if there is a difference between how long your produce lasts when you have the paper vs when you don't use it?

ETA: I will definitely try it! I hate to clean up that mess too when it happens

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Okiemommy said:
Oh what a neat idea Miss_thenorth! Do you do that to keep the food fresh longer?

(I apologize for my ignorance, I have been living in a tri-fecta toddler bubble for the last four years)

:lol:

ETA: I'm also one of those people that's not afraid to ask questions, b/c I believe someone else is out there that would like to ask, but wont :p
It's amazing what a person can learn when they're not afraid to ask! I've been called a ditz a couple times, but I think it's the smart ones who ask :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
heatherv said:
So what's the caramel corn recipe? My DH has talked about how his sisters used to make caramel corn in a brown paper bag in the microwave when he was younger, and he loved it. (he doesn't like my caramel corn) So I'd love the recipe/instructions if anyone has it!
This is from my college days, now 15 years ago! So, I'll try to remember the directions. The ingredients I have written down, just not the directions.

Air pop enough popcorn to fill a brown paper bag 2/3 full.

Melt 1 stick of butter on medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add 1 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup white corn syrup and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil. Boil hard for 1 min. Add 1/2 tsp baking soda and stir in until well blended. It will turn light and foam up.

Dump this very hot mixture over the popcorn in the paper bag. With a long stirring utensil, stir as thoroughly as possible, taking great care not to burn your hands--this is harder since you're stirring into a deep bag. Then, place in the microwave and zap on high for approximately 1 min (you might want to Google this part). Stir. Zap 3 more times, 1 min each, stirring each time. Then, spread out in pans or foil in the counter to cool. Enjoy!

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
WOW That sounds yuuuuummmeeeee!

It's amazing what a person can learn when they're not afraid to ask! I've been called a ditz a couple times, but I think it's the smart ones who ask smile
I agree! :D

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Shipping boxes and packages. Works great and saves buying brown shipping paper.

I love the garden mulch idea as well.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Shipping boxes and packages. Works great and saves buying brown shipping paper.

I love the garden mulch idea as well.
I wrap all my Christmas gifts in plain brown paper. It is very old fashioned and rustic, and looks fantasic under the tree with twine, raffita, and plaid accents...a couple of pinecones tucked into the bow...very unique, and everyone knows before opening it that it is from me:>)

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I was doing good until I got to MorelCabin's post. She beat me to it.

Wrapping paper.

Cooling cookies.

Ripening fruit.

When I was younger, book covers.

All these repeats are for those who didn't start at the beginning of the thread.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
This is going to sound holier than thou-ish but I hardly see a paper bag from one year to the next. I have a bunch of canvas bags that I keep in the truck to take with me to stores. Most grocery stores give a credit (usually 6 cents a bag) for my not using their bags. Not much but adds up over the lifetime of the totes. I figured it paid for them long before they wore out. At least once I stopped using those net bags which wore out fast. The only trouble I had when I started was a tendency to accumulate the bags at home and not have any in the truck when I needed them. Solved that by hanging them on the door knob to the garage when I unpacked them in the kitchen so I can't drive off without seeing them and putting them in the truck first.
We used to use the brown paper bags for book covers (required by the school) or for gift wrap. Wrap the present and then let the kids decorate it with crayons, markers, stickers, sparkles. It was always personalized for each person getting the gift and the kids were really involved in the process.

We have 55 shopping/tote bags.... I just counted them the other day (don't ask).... I absolutely love them! and I use them every where and any time we shop. We still have 15 net bags we bought from Pier One in 1980! And one of my friends brought me 10 from France years ago. The net ones are terrific for things like potatoes and onions. And when the kids were young, we stored bath toys in them. I still use them for carrying pot luck dishes for dinners at church. I just keep sewing up the strings as they break. I have bags from Jazzercize, Body Works, different public library systems, and different shopping chains, some no longer in existence. The newest ones we have are foil lined, which is great for carrying cold food or hot food around. I use some of them for egg deliveries. We keep our bags in the trunk of the cars.

You are lucky, enjoy the ride! NONE of the stores here pay anything for not using their bags.

Hey, I guess my dh is right, I AM the Imelda Marcos of shopping/tote bags... ;)

FollowingGrandmaHelen

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I use them to store my mushrooms in. When I make my bi-weekly grocery run, I sometimes buy the mushrooms a day or two before I need them. The best way to store them without them getting slimy or drying out too fast is to place them in a small paper bag on the counter. Don't wash them until ready to use!!. Don't leave them in the bag more than two days or they will dry out.