What do you WANT to learn to do?

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No, not my first grandchild. Her sisters have been busy. Although genetically she shares genes with my 7 and 11 year old grandchildren, who spent last weekend with me. (My oldest 2 girls are identical twins). And my youngest daughter has an 18 month old little girl.

In replacing my little truck that was wrecked I did finally go to one that will seat 4 plus me. Recent events indicated that would be a good idea. 2 little back seats with seat belts for the older kids...

I am proud of all my girls.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is great. you have your hands full as a Grandma :D Obviously you are busy doing the kiddo thing!

I agree on that truck. I have the suicide doors on our 2500. Smaller back seat but decent. Next is a 4 door. Room for the kid as she gets older. I have to have the truck for the farm. I must have space for back passengers when camping and general driving.

What brand of truck are you checking out? I am a Chevy gal.

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am an old truck sort of gal. I own a 1975 chevy silverado - needs an engine (again - lotsa bad work done on the one I just threw a rod in)

My1986 mazda just got totaled - see my diary thread for a pic. One of my daughters (mother of 2 grandkids) had just replaced her 1986 ranger with a newer bronco, so I'm buying her ranger.

I won't drive a vehicle with a fiberglass body, as much as I drive, and in the traffic I drive in. :)

beerman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm teaching myself how to tan hides. I can get a bunch of free deer skins so I figure why not :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh wow Gyp you would get along so good with my hubby! he wants to restore an older Chevy truck so bad. He has those dreams of the big rebuild.

we have the 2500 Silverado HD right now but he says that is :tongue compared to what the older trucks were. (sadly I can't go there with him cause vehicles just don't grab me lol)

Are you more city driving or something? I know my worst traffic was when I lived outside of Hartford CT. holy cow it was life in jeopardy all the time. In NJ it is insanity driving 8 lane wide roads at warp speeds. hey, no wonder we moved south. to avoid traffic :bun

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
beerman said:
I'm teaching myself how to tan hides. I can get a bunch of free deer skins so I figure why not :)
Beerman, seriously if you are getting good results you gotta tell. Cause I remember many many moons ago a great poster Roosmom was tanning and she had troubles. (using the brain)

If you can help others it would be fab to throw it on the board and help us learn. Most hunt here and have the cattle we process etc.
So your info along the way would be great for this board.

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I drive all over Dallas-Fort Worth on business. And my old chevy is far from properly restored, it is just mechanically functional. Gets a little more rust each year. Sadly. I want a truck cover for Christmas to slow down the rust attacks (although the drought helped). Figure I'll have to buy it myself. One day I hope to have the cash to restore it or another one like it. Even the materials and the time are hard to come by. But yes, older vehicles were better built. And the parts for them are cheaper, as long as you can get parts. Chevy from 1973 to 1987 used pretty much interchangeable stuff, it's been a good investment. I bought it in 2001. Has about a million miles on it - don't know for sure, 5 space odometer. I've turned it over 2 or 3 times. (would have to dig out my mileage logs)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
This isn't very much of a "can-do attitude," as my parents used to say, but at this moment in time I don't want to learn a single new thing :) I have enough on my plate keeping up with those I HAVE learned!

Okay, here's one: I want to learn to chill out and relax and waste time this winter :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
beerman said:
Details please :D I have a hide waiting to be done. It will be my first attempt.

beerman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This is my first one, so far it is soaking in lye. Anyone know how to dispose with the lye when I'm done with it?