What do you WANT to learn to do?

mpiazzola

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'd like to learn a lot of things. I'm new to all this and live in a small studio with a small patio, so there is not much room to learn by doing.

new skills:
Canning
Turning pet fur into yarn
how to raise chickens
how to make soap
vermiculture

Skills to improve:
veggie gardening
composting
cooking

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I want to learn to make my own Earth oven too, but it is NOT at the top of my current list. (finishing house electrical is.)

luvmyEs

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Things I would like to learn:
Beekeeping- anyone with bee allergies do this?
Knitting
Canning
Gardening

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I want to:
Spin and weave - in fact I would like to raise the animal, shear it, wash, card...whatever else there is...dye the wool I guess? I would love to have a beginning to finish product.
Preserving food - I would love to be one of those master preservers who knows like - EVERYTHING about preserving food.
Herbal medicine - Yep - I wanna be a master. I currently only know to swallow a spoon full of honey when I have a sore throat.
Bee keeping
Goat milking
Cheese making
Gardening
Oh dear - I am afraid there is no end to my list. I really want to know how to do it ALL.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
I agree Rathbone... My list is really long too! But, the priorities are:

Breeding and raising goats for both meat and milk
Learning to successfully and inexpensively grow vegetables in the desert
Cheese and yogurt making
Canning/Preserving

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know many/most of you have already added to this list, but I love this thread so much that I had to add to it!

I would like to improve my knitting, canning, and gardening skills/knowledge.
I would love to learn:
To raise sheep or fiber goats, shear, process and spin my own! I would also like to have dairy goats and possibly meat rabbits some day.
I'd like to build a greenhouse and maybe a root cellar once we are in a place that is permenant and not so close to a swamp. (the cellar would fill with water in the winter!)
I would also like to get my house on alternative power, but know nothing about electricity.
I'd like to learn how to fish a bit better.
How to brew root beer from scratch and brew beer (I have done it once, and have all the stuff - now I just need to get good at it!)
How to get my kid to love the SS life and not be the kind of person that doesn't know where his food comes from or how to fix/make things himself.

eggrookie2010

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the inspiring post...forced me to make a mental list. keeping bees and goats, making soap and candles, getting confident with my pressure canner and learn some true field medic skills. I thought of some more stuff so I hit EDIT: I would like to learn an instrument. I love guitar however I HAVE a harmonica and it fits in a pocket or backpack to lighten the mood in dark days! And weirdly I keep having dreams I have welding skills....maybe a sign! LOL!

whaTType

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
in the summer I can hook it to a box and small solar fan to dehydrate veggies and in the winter hook it to the kitchen window to catch that south window sun