What household product can you do without?

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
comet or ajax or other scouring powders/pastes/creams - I use baking soda. works great.

toothpaste, the old fashioned paste kind, makes a great silver polish.

I can do without dryer sheets, bleach, furniture polish, floor cleaners, fabric softeners, lysol, mouthwash, paper towels, swifter type junk, coffee filters. Pretty much any cleaning product except dishsoap, shampoo, laundry soap. (vinegar and baking soda pretty much take care of everything).

would really like to say I do without plastic wrap and ziplocks, but...I do try to avoid the plastic wrap (store food in canning jars and old fashioned glass casseroles with tops), and I wash and reuse ziplocks and hardly use any but.....still have them.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
dianer29 said:
see if CSI is online.............
that is fantastic if your internet is fast enough. we have dial-up only or a mobile highspeed card but that isn't even close to being high enough speed to download or stream video :( hence why we have satellite. i don't think i could live without heartland, bones, glee, criminal minds, or ugly betty...

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
When we are home, there is no cable or home phone. I make my own laundry soap, and am weaning out paper towels.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Gosh, doing without paper towels would be hard for us, we foster dogs as a hobby. I probably use way too many though. Do you use alot of hand towels and cloth rags instead? I also use paper towels when cleaning bathrooms and windows, what do you use for that? I have so much hair around here from my animals that live indoors, paper towels seem to aide in the hair pick up.
I'm interested in how you do without them Pioneergirl.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
savingdogs, we have 6 dogs (5 poodles, and they're called POOdles for a reason ;) ) and we buy the bags of towels from Value Village... its a bag of second hand towels, many are ripped or bleached or whatever and we use them for most messes. We also keep on hand a gigantic commercial sized mop caddy and big mop. Most of our dogs stay in the house in the winter and they find themselves hanging out in a large run in the summer.

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
I don't use furniture polish, Ajax, blue toilet stuff, dryer sheets or fabric softener, floor stripper stuff, no strippers in my house at all...... especially my sister, because no seeing man in the world would pay to see that.... :sick ...... what were we talking about?

The worst offending chemical has been paint stripper. I was trying to rehab some old windows, and it was becoming too much work, so I thought I'd speed it up with paint stripper. I bought the 'gentle' variety, whatever THAT means. It didn't smell bad or anything, but I wore those wonderfully comfortable goggles and the Darth Vader mouth thingy. Well, it was so gentle it left the paint right where it was. I showered to remove any uckies and called it a night. That night, lying in bed, the skin around my eyes started to feel like it was burning. I went and washed them again, but the burning was worse. Next day, red skin. First thing in the morning, my eyes would barely open. It took a concerted effort to make them open, and it felt so odd. They stayed that way for three months. I asked doctors for help, but they only suggested eye drops, which was not helpful as my eyes were fine. Thank goodness the human body repairs itself.

peachykeen

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I stopped buying toothbrush and cleaners or shampoo. I replaced toothpaste with baking soda (or nothing, just scrubbing) and cleaners with vinegar and water, and shampoo with baking soda and then ACV as a conditioner.

I am cutting outt Febreeze and air fresheners almost completely (hubby likes to spray it after a particularly smelly trip to the bathroom lol) they are very toxic and expensive.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
peachykeen said:
I stopped buying toothbrush and cleaners or shampoo. I replaced toothpaste with baking soda (or nothing, just scrubbing) and cleaners with vinegar and water, and shampoo with baking soda and then ACV as a conditioner.

I am cutting outt Febreeze and air fresheners almost completely (hubby likes to spray it after a particularly smelly trip to the bathroom lol) they are very toxic and expensive.
:O you don't use toothpaste?

I have to brush with toothpaste and rinse for a minute with flouride after because I have very soft teeth and am prone to cavities. Eek!

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
Ugh, scented products give me a headache. Air fresheners are wretched plagues on society. My husband had a small tin for his truck full of cherry air freshener. I asked him to pull over and after he did, I opened the door and set that thing on the curb. It was it or him, either way.

I own perfume, but I may as well throw it away. I remember a few years back, Sarah Jessica Parker was touting 'Beautiful', and I asked dh for it for Mother's Day (I must have been drinking heavier then) and that dang box still sits there taunting me. It gave me a full day headache the one time I tried it. Now, when I see Sarah Jessica Parker, I cringe and shake my fist at her.
2mo5pow.gif

Latest posts