What household product can you do without?

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I thought I could do without cats, but now I think I want Lupins! :D

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Jamsoundsgood said:
Oh he is a NASTY cat. Mean mean mean, I think it stems from the day my brother tried to use him as a pump action gun.........................................

Though he did look quite like he was enjoying it, and you could hear him purring. He purrs like 2 tanks. He's the babe of a feral cat, he was abandonned at birth on a hobby farm by his feral momma and raised by a particularly spoiled child until 4 weeks when I got him. He got what he wanted when he wanted and he lived on goats milk. Hence the super shiney coat he has now.

His favourite foods are voles, mice, the dogs, people, and anything he can get his mouth around.

Which is why Accio (after the charm in Harry Potter) is often called AttAccio (Attackio)...hehehe.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My favorite cat ever was the son of a feral cat that a friend of mine rescued. We called him Spook. He was the best gopher hunter my parents ever had. I've never wanted another one since. You may call it mean, I just call it Personality. ;)

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
We absolutely cannot do without bleach or the lavender pinesol due to our dogs

BUT

we CAN do without dryer sheets because we use that nifty bounce dryer bar now, and it has saved us a ton of garbage! i hate dryer sheets, they waste so much and stick to everything.
Have you tried lavender Lysol? Smells great!!
Didn't somebody here suggest a bucket with a lid to hold rags soaked in fabric softener for your dryer? You can reuse them.

I can do without insecticide. I'm super allergic to it--Frontline, Raid--you name it, I wheeze. When I'm affected I halfway think that the companies that make them are trying to kill people, too!!
Here's a link about boric acid:
http://www.alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/boric_acid.html

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Hoosiermomma said:
lupinfarm said:
eggs4sale, one air freshener I cannot give up is febreeze apple & spice! omg that stuff is amazing. We also put an air freshener on our furnace filters, makes the whole darn house smell wonderful lol it costs very little too. I hate those stupid air fresheners you stick in the wall plug.
You don't necessarily have to give up having the scent of apples and spice. Just put a pot of simmering water on the stove with cut up apple peel and some cinnamon and cloves sprinkled over it. You can have the smell you like but without the chemicals. ;) You could also get cinnamon essential oil, put a few drops on a cotton ball and put them on or in the registers around the house.
This is sort of what I do. I have a potpourri pot that you put a tea light candle underneath. I put a couple of broken up cinnamon sticks, some cloves and thyme in a pot of water, sometimes orange or lemon rind too. Keep it simmering all day and it smells wonderful. I have so totally given up on artificial scents--for everything. all they do is give me a headache. Not to mention, I read that when you simmer cinnamon, it somehow purities the air so that you ward off colds and flu bugs. I just spent about 20 minutes looking for that article and can't find it yet, but will keep looking. apparently cinnamon has antibacterial or antimicrobial properties. So far, and I realize winter isn't over, but we have been healthy here.

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can...and do.....do without any cleaners that are not made by me or by method. Their toilet bowl cleaner stuff gets the job done with lactic acid instead of all those harsh chemicals, and my loo smells like a spa after I clean.

I can also do without any "home fragrances". I prefer my home to smell like a clean house. If I want "fragrance", I bring in a few flowers from the garden, or grate an orange peel.

I do without floor cleaners because I got one of those steam mops. With all the animals running through the house, I like steaming the floors, and it gets them really really clean.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Toothpaste here too, only baking soda with a little stevia & cinnamon.
Also paper towels, almost any store bought cleaner (I used to loooove lavender Fabulosa, now it gives me a headache), most pesticides (we do have to dust the yard on occasion because of the fireants)
I refuse to buy disposable plates, cups, forks. Feminine hygene products have fallen by the wayside as well. Cotton is more comfy.
Laundry detergent, dryer sheets and I'm getting close on storebought soap, since my second batch turned out so well.

I'm fond of orange peel, cinnamon & a little ginger simmering on the stove. Or just opening the doors & letting fresh air in.

DH & I still use disposable razors, dish soap and bleach. I have no interest in trying to use a cutthroat razor on my legs :p
Although, if we ever are able to get bees, maybe beeswax? :D

Any tips on how to break my company cleaning lady of her apparent addiction to some cleaner? It smells like peppermint and toilet tank thingies mixed with that floor absorbant they use in school and makes me :sick

I've asked if she could use something else, anything else to no avail. I don't even know what it cleans...

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Jamsoundsgood said:
I have two cats, you can have both of them.

I can do without a Swiffer.

sekinkead

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can do without most houshold cleaners now as well. I use vinegar, ammonia, and baking soda for my cleaning. I do still use windex but I only buy a bottle every year or 2.

I can also do with out the swiffer, my husband loves it, but it leaves a film on my floor. I hate that! I need to just throw mine away.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Things I can do without... Household cleaners (except Comet for toilets, baking soda doesn't work for me!), air sprays, paper towels, fabric softener, makeup (except concealer), hair spray, hair gel, and mouthwash.

Latest posts