What if DH/DW Couldn't?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I totally forgot about the garden. I till it, I row it, I plant it, I weed it, I pick it, I cook it, I can it, and We eat it, lol!

I promise ya'll - he's not a total bum. He can run the vacuum cleaner too! And he does his own laundry!

And - this is the very best! I Get A Backrub EVERY Single Night! :love:love

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am a terrible fencer and I am not mechanically inclined. I would probably give up “farming” and keep a few pet sheep and the dogs. It’s not terribly difficult to source local meats here. I could do a lot more if I didn’t have a 3 year old and a 2 year old. I’m a bit limited currently!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do everything here for the most part. It's my job while hubby works. That's how we split it. We spent 10 years in Virgina Beach splitting most things equally when I worked, so it's not him being misogynistic. It's just better for us this way now.

He did not grow up gardening or helping with animals so isn't very good at it. He helped as best he could when I tilled the garden this year. That issue has to do with the stroke he had. He's almost fully recovered now but has a little weakness he's working to fix.

I know he can do a lot of the work, and he does if Im not feeling well. He can cook just fine. It's a skill he learned from his Grandmother.

If something happened to me, the animals would get fed and the lawn mowed occasionally. He can feed us and wash everything. Garden would be a bust, though.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we don't have a farm, but a lot of gardens instead. i was raised to be self-sufficient so there is nothing here that i can't do that she does. there are a few things i can't do any more that i need help with like cutting down trees and some other larger tasks like brush-hogging (because i don't have one of those) or i don't want to climb up on the roof with my leg not being as reliable as i'd like it to be. i can do it, i just prefer not to if i can avoid it.

mowing the lawn is the one task that when i moved in i told Mom that it was her thing to do. gradually i am doing more of it, but when the time comes and Mom is gone either i'm leaving this place or i'll not be mowing any longer. i'll turn what's left into gardens and just have the places left that i don't want to get overgrown brush hogged a few times here or there to keep the trees and shrubs from taking over again.