What is on your "LIST" (Food aversions)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:lol:

Something like that happened to a friend of mine....her father did some amateur taxidermy and was boiling a bear's head. She came home from school and thought it smelled yummy....mom and dad stood by trying not to snicker as she went over to take a peek and opened the pot.... :ep

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i think i love your Grandma Nettie.... she sounds like my kinda gal!

ok i want to update my list:

i will not eat boiled bear head.

well... maybe the jowl but only if its smoked

;-)

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
gummy worms, made ourselves sick on them when we were little because my aunt thought they were gross

Salmon, but Im getting over it. My dad caught a salmon every year and my mom knew only 2 ways to cook it.....a 5 foot salmon....there was lots of it.

tomatoes, its a texture thing, my sisters dont like it either

and after bad experiences as a kid I always smell milk and lunch meat before I eat or drink it.

and the big one......

saurkraut :sick I know theres a lot of you on here who swear by it but I had to make it and stomp it as a kid. Just seeing how its made and smelling it for weeks.........I cant do it. My sons father thought it was funny to breath on me while he was eating it, and i was pregnant, till I ran to the bathroom and lost lunch.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Several years ago my hubby was at work on a snowy blustery day. A co-worker was eating a big bowl of ham and bean soup at lunch time and he started thinking about how good that would taste. He thought about it all day.

Meanwhile at home.

I had the day off from school for a snow day. A great time to do all of those long projects that I normally do not have time to do. I put a hog head into my biggest stock pot to begin cooking on its way to becoming scrapple like my grandma Nettie used to make. The pot simmered away leaving a nice hammy smell lingering in the air.

Later.

A cold half frozen hungry hubby comes home. "Bean soup!" he thinks, smelling the yummy fragrance. Just what he has been wanting all day!

He still has not recovered from opening the kettle to get a bowl of bean soup and coming face to face with the pig head! :ep :lol: :lol: :gig
:gig :gig :gig

Oh my gosh...that is hysterical! Poor hubby! What an awful sight that must have been peaking into that crock pot :sick

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
funny but heads don't scare us...LOL...or make us TOO squeamish.

We do tons of things with animals.....of course, what frightened me the most was when my goat somehow broke off 1/2 her horn. OH THE BLOOD.....and Tony MADE me hold her while he ripped it off. THE SCREAMS were unreal from that goat. (and yes she hates us to this day)---I freaked and let her go constantly and Tony had to yell at me to hold her. I was climbing the stall walls myself. the noise....:/ just made me cave like a baby! But we got 'er done.

We packed it with blood stop and all that mess and she did fine BUT the screams. At least something dead doesn't scream in the pot..HA HA

I remember we did a lobster bake. I played with those suckers, had fun with them and Dad threw them in the pot. OH MY THE HORROR---until I ate him then I didn't care..HA HA----no kid trauma on that one.:lol: dipped in butter and I had a monster smile on my face.

Eyes---I don't like dead eyes. From a pot or anywhere else..HA HA

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
At least something dead doesn't scream in the pot..HA HA
aint that right

except.....

when we were dressing chickens one time i was rippin the guts out and it made one last horrible sound....

the both of us nearly jumped out of our skin! i think that chicken got the last laugh...the both of us clutching each other in horror....

i have to confess tho... my hubby is the axe man and i dont look until all the 'smiling' parts are removed and safely in a bucket.

;-)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh hell I know what you mean.

a few times I was surprised by things thought dead but not......

ICk

but ya know, I can handle it....I know you did cause you still eat chciken..LOL

Most days I think like a farmer---rare occasions I think like a girl...HAHA

When a kid my Mom and her bros/sis had a pet duck named Oscar.
Food of course in the olden days is scarce and Oscar was promised never to be a meal....well he was. Mom said all the kids freaked and cried at the table---all 9 of them---and Oscar was never eaten. Lol---she said her Mom freaked out also and didn't cook another duck for years.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Most days I think like a farmer---rare occasions I think like a girl...HAHA
i LOVE that you said this!!!

and nope i'm not squeamish about the butcherin -- i'm right there in the splash zone.

poor Oscar.. i hope at least the dogs/cats got him.......

our pals that we butcher with have 2 little boys are are well aware of where their food comes from. when we were dressing a couple of lambs with them, one of the boys (i think he's 7) said:

dad? what if its faking it?

dad was standing there with the lambs head in his hand (separated from the body) and very simply said, i dont think he's faking.

we laughed for hours after that and its become our standard butcher day joke! oh golly it helps to have a sense of humor....