what is with kids toys

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cooking is SUCH an important skill to learn- for both genders. I used to point out to my sons that any man who can whip up a delicious and romantic dinner for his girl instead of taking her out to dinner is way ahead in the game. I wasn't as successful at getting them to clean up the kitchen afterward though....

I remember I used to adore playing with Legos, Lincoln Logs, Erector sets, and Tinker Toys, as well as Tonka Trucks in the dirt... much more fun than dolls as far as I was concerned, lol

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cooking is SUCH an important skill to learn- for both genders. I used to point out to my sons that any man who can whip up a delicious and romantic dinner for his girl instead of taking her out to dinner is way ahead in the game. I wasn't as successful at getting them to clean up the kitchen afterward though....

I remember I used to adore playing with Legos, Lincoln Logs, Erector sets, and Tinker Toys, as well as Tonka Trucks in the dirt... much more fun than dolls as far as I was concerned, lol
That's how I was most of the time growing up, I was closer to my brothers then my sister.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree @rodeogirl , the extreme genderization of toys makes me feel exasperated and a little sad. I'm all for identifying with gender...but the relentless gender commodification of most toys is too much. (Or for adult products as well for that matter...ever heard of the "pink tax")

As for kitchens, that's what we got my son for Christmas last year, we bought it second hand for $40 (I think); it came from a house of girls but happened to be blue and white. I'd be fine with a pink kitchen except it would look terrible in my kitchen where it's kept! :D

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
To be honest @treerooted I would get him a pink one but because he is my only child right now I think I'm going to brake down and make him one . maybe one like this
Screenshot_2017-09-28-18-33-02.png

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You know... beside Nigella, the famous chefs that I can think of quickly are all men, so there… Kitchens are NOT girly, or shouldn't be.

@rodeogirl please show us what you make him?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My daughter loves everything pink and princessy. She also can't wait to to hunting and help dad cut up a pig, so I think she embraces everything, lol. She has zero draw to "boy" specific toys but loves to play with blocks, Legos, etc. I think there's more of a stigma about boys playing with "girl" toys than the other way around, so maybe that's why I haven't thought as much of it.
Sumi is right. There are a TON of big name male chefs!

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes for sure! That's because feminine things are generally seen as less favorable then masculine things. And males are allowed to be chefs because they're payed while cooking for the home in an unpaid position is "woman's" work. But certainly both overt and covert thinking about gender roles is changing!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I read in a magazine here a few weeks ago about a little boy that loves Disney princesses and the related toys etc. Another boy likes wearing dresses, though he's perfectly "boyish" otherwise, so his parents said so be it, wear a dress then. You can imagine the outcry. That sparked a great discussion about these gender specific toys, clothes etc. I'd say let them decide for themselves what they want and like.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A lot of activities that are considered female things to do started out with men doing them- knitting and crochet was done predominantly by men at first- fishermen in particular. Originally, secretaries were all male. And on the other side of things, in some cultures, women could be warriors with no stigma.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Hmm, I wonder how and why that changed :\ And you know what really ticks me off? For certain jobs, men earning more for doing the same work in the same positions than their female colleagues. I don't know if this is the case in the States as well, but I've heard of it happening in a few countries.