what is with kids toys

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@NH Homesteader I have 2 boys and Lordy if that's just not okay with people. Apparently we have to have 1 girl and 1 boy. And if you get two of the same, then people start pressuring to "try again" to try to get the opposite gender. WTF people? Sad I didn't have a girl, but love my cuddly boys! :love

I'm busy teaching DS10 to cook, clean, sew, babysit, change diapers, do laundry. Heck, he's more familiar with laundry stain removers than I am! He can darn socks [poorly] and he has a new spontaneous interest in embroidery. He thinks he wants traditional wife and kids when he grows up so I'm raising him up to be a gift to my future DIL. She will be the luckiest girl ever. :gig He'd better pick one that deserves him....

Hey, @NH Homesteader ... how 'bout an arranged marriage. J/k! :gig

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well we're teaching DD how to hunt and butcher pigs and chickens so... Might be a good arrangement! Lol!!

Ugh I hope people don't tell me to try again. I'm DONE!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I can relate completely to being "DONE". 2 years later, I'm still DONE. uggh. I get physically sick thinking, reading about pregnancy. I'm getting tubes tied this week. Put an end to the stress and uncertainty. NEVER AGAIN.

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well you've had rougher pregnancies than most! Can't blame you there!

I just really like sleeping, I'm going to miss it. That is seriously a very big reason for me to not have more, lol.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Because you are crazy people? Lol kidding but seriously... No. 2 is good.

You just figured that out :lol nope... just really really productive. We wanted 12 but had to stop short after 7 because of a complicated pregnancy and my DW during delivery yelling at the doctor to get me on the table and "take care of this RIGHT NOW!"

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lol @crealbilly. I'd have gone for 12 too, but DH was NOT having it. Our second oldest tried his best. He asked his dad if we could have 9 kids so we could ride in a bus and "have our own baseball team." But I'm 1 of 8 and can't think of much just 1 or two kids can do. We never had problems getting enough kids to play games with. My oldest two were 13 months apart and were by far the easiest because they always entertained each other. The girl (number 3) was too young (and a girl...) And the youngest required way more time than the others. I am in the "more is better" camp. :)
Besides, someday I want the blessings that only come from a big family. :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol @crealbilly. I'd have gone for 12 too, but DH was NOT having it. Our second oldest tried his best. He asked his dad if we could have 9 kids so we could ride in a bus and "have our own baseball team." But I'm 1 of 8 and can't think of much just 1 or two kids can do. We never had problems getting enough kids to play games with. My oldest two were 13 months apart and were by far the easiest because they always entertained each other. The girl (number 3) was too young (and a girl...) And the youngest required way more time than the others. I am in the "more is better" camp. :)
Besides, someday I want the blessings that only come from a big family. :)

Smile - you sound exactly like my wife. I come from a family of 4. Mom, Dad, my sister & me. There's 13 years in-between my sister and me, I'm the older brother.

But you know when I was growing up, it was like I had numerous brothers because back then friends of the family were family. Sadly the world is so screwed up now that you don't know who you should let in your home and who you shouldn't. It's a morally deprived world now-a-days, sad, very sad!

All of my old best friends have passed and are in a much better place now. My last best childhood friend died 2 months ago. This thread makes me think how it used to be... Although far from perfect back then but still like night and day compared to now.

Our house has always been packed and honestly I couldn't imagine it any other way... My family is and will always be #1. I am taking full advantage of the many blessings God has bestowed on my DW and I. If children aren't a direct blessing from God I don't know what is... Now I'm enjoying my grand kids. If you think your kids are awesome just wait until grand kids come along they are the best.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The thing is with just two children, that later in life it starts to show as to why it wasn't such a great idea. All my relatives that only had two kids are now starting to second guess that situation....less division of work when it comes to taking care of elderly parents, less cousins for their children to interact with, less family to help during a crisis, less places to land if one is in crisis, less grandchildren(in one case, no grandkids at all and now that's become a much wanted thing in this couple...sorry, you only had two and neither of them wanted to have any).

My uncle only had two and one died, the other had no children. Now he's elderly and needing care, but the one left is not willing to move in and help him in any way because his own wife is needy.

My sister only had two, but neither had grandchildren nor wanted any, so she has none at a time when all her peers have them and want to talk about them.

My sister stopped at two and one is dying, the other doesn't want to have much to do with her, so she will have no one to take care of her in her elderly years and she has little contact with the grandchildren.

My aunt only had two and neither one wants to take care of her in her elderly years, though they stand to inherit her millions.

I could go on for days and days on the shortcomings of only having one or two when a person could have chosen otherwise. I only had three, but looking back and if I could do it over, I wouldn't have stopped there but would have kept going. I think 6 would have been ideal, but no fewer than 4, for sure.

My son wanted to stop at 2 but I urged them to continue...they are now having their 3rd girl and insist they will stop at this one, but I'm going to keep urging them to go for a fourth. You wouldn't believe how many people were just downright rude about them having a third child!!! Like they were overpopulating the Earth or something!

I'm the youngest of 9 and my parents both came from families of 8, so a big family is my familiar and it's a good thing, compared to what I saw growing up around families of only 2 children.