what is with kids toys

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's awesome! My guess is that dad's been teaching that kid skills for a long time. I'd be wary about having a 9 year old welding too, but I remember babysitting and cutting the lawn by the time I was 9. I wasn't much older before I was driving a tractor (I had to wait until I was tall enough.)
My son was taught how to fish by a 3 year old (who knew which hook to use for which kind of fish, put the worms on by himself, and took the fish off the hook by himself.) The little 3 year old went fishing at his grandparents' house almost every day.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH has been anxiously awaiting DD being old enough to learn how to weld, among other things. I'll have to ask him what age he thinks is appropriate. 9 seems young to me but he grew up fast on the farm as a kid, so maybe he thinks differently.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm not even real short (5'6"), lol. I think tractors were built for men. :somad (or maybe the clutch needs to be adjusted?)

My grands are learning to drive the lawnmower - without the blade turning (for now). They think that's a pretty fun toy - and it's unisex, lol!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
8 or 9 seems to be the golden age when most kids started tougher chores and skills here. I was mowing at 9 and 10, my boys the same, along with weedeating. I know I wouldn't have turned my boys loose with a welder at that age, simply because they are boys....a girl? Yep, she could weld, but boys are destructive and would want to be burning things with it behind my back. My boys were always looking for something to burn, cut, crush, shoot, break in various ways....still are, for that matter. :rolleyes:

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's an age thing. @NH Homesteader how responsible is DD? My oldest granddaughter is 4. At home, she does nothing. She plays with toys with little supervision, and NO responsibilities. At my house, she picks up her clothes, makes her bed, puts her jacket on by herself... (When she comes, she usually wants help with everything, saying , "I can't" or "I don't want to", and cries if she doesn't get her way. That changes when she's here just a short time. Soon she's getting herself dressed, running, jumping, climbing, picking her stuff up, helping in the kitchen, feeding chickens...) (Her mom is going through some rough times right now...) That's extreme, but it depends on your training, their willingness to learn, their ability to follow directions and to stay on task, and each child's interest... With something like welding, it would also depend on the weight of the equipment, the height of the child, their strength and steadiness. There's no magic number for when each child would be ready.
(My oldest child was riding a two wheeler when he was two. My second not till he was 7, and the youngest when he was 4?) (No idea when my daughter learned...)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There are plenty of true stories in the world of children 9 and 10, and even 7 who through some circumstance or other have been forced to provide for themselves alone, and they manage it- taking up burdens many of our "snowflakes" can't handle at 20. Some of it is early training, but some of it is just sheer grit and determination. If a 9 year old girl wants to learn how to weld, and her parent can teach her- including all the safety measures that need to be taken- she can probably do it. In fact a young child is often MORE conscientious of safety measures than an adult might be. And obviously, there was someone supervising her, or the picture wouldn't have been taken.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband thinks 9 is perfectly reasonable for a responsible child. DD is very responsible. She collects eggs, feeds the dogs and the chickens (she can't feed the goats, they would knock her over!), helps put away dishes, etc. She's very careful and safe when you give her direction, so she'll be welding at an early age I'm sure!