WHAT THE HECK DO I DO WITH ALL THESE EGGS?!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My older hens make the best, most flavorful broth...and are the most tasty when canned in the jar. They hold fat within their muscle fibers, more so even than my WR roosters do, so their meat turns out tender, closely fibered~not stringy, and just wonderful soup meat. Younger birds don't have the depth of flavor and fat an older hen has.

I also like to use the canned chicken in other recipes...makes the BEST chicken alfredo.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh that is funny you said that...The only ones I tried to cook were the roosters at 4 years old....they were terrible. Now you make me think I should try a hen to see if it is better. Yes I can the broth of my chickens and buy chicken to can for ourselves. Yes I do all kinds of things with it. We especially like it on lettuce salad for a quick evening meal when I don;t want to cook or have a mess...

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have always LOVED chess pie! Haven't made creme brulee in ages; I never used a torch for the sugar topping- I had a cast iron disk on a long handle that was heated on the burner and then used on the sugar like a branding iron. It was a bit tricky; if you heated the cast iron too hot, it would burn the sugar, but if you didn't heat it enough you ended up with some non-caramelized sugar.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm failing at eating eggs! My standbys are french toast casserole (12 eggs), eggnog (used 30 eggs in eggnog in the last week), lemon curd (12 yolks) and egg white soufflé (12 whites), and deviled eggs (12)

I've been making those and am down to 7... dozen. :hide

I don't want to cull hens. I sell 1 dozen per week, and if we cull I won't have enough eggs to try to get new egg customers next year. But if we have excess eggs, DH will cull without consulting me. :smack

We're having egg salad sandwiches for lunch this week. I think I can use a dozen there.

help. Please. Drowning in eggs.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@tortoise what about going to town with eggs and calling on office buildings? We sell eggs to a lawyer's office and a dentist office, plus friends.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I sell most of mine. Covers feed and then some