WHAT THE HECK DO I DO WITH ALL THESE EGGS?!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
The tiny eggs are wonderful for pickling. When I started selling eggs a few years ago, a local restaurant asked for all my pullet eggs, so they can pickle it for salads. I ended up taking them some of my MIL's bantam eggs later as well.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
waretrop ---- you have many chickens -- do you have a cull & butcher time each year to replenish with younger? Just wondering what you do with the ones no longer laying up to norm. You probably keep 125 + in your general "laying" flock?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL, yep! Just thinking that was a lot of butchering! You are a real worker/canner with your foods -- so, I just assumed you may do that also. (not my fav job when I do it!) Nice option you have for them and you and the friend.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have butchered some but they are much too old. They taste horrible for they are 4 and 5 years old. They make great broth.

chicken broth 20166.jpg

I never use water when making noodles or rice nor do I use bouillon cubes when making sauces or soups. I have 100 pints of broth canned up for that.

Now it's time to share...My friend does many things with my old chickens. I don't ask and I don't tell...LO

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Oh that is funny you said that...The only ones I tried to cook were the roosters at 4 years old....they were terrible. Now you make me think I should try a hen to see if it is better. Yes I can the broth of my chickens and buy chicken to can for ourselves. Yes I do all kinds of things with it. We especially like it on lettuce salad for a quick evening meal when I don;t want to cook or have a mess...

Yeah, those older birds don't cook up too well, even with hours of stewing in a crockpot they are still dry and stringy. But put those same birds in a canner or pressure cooker and they are rendered juicy, tender and tasty. I debone them, cut them into bite size pieces, cold pack them tight in the jar with salt and water...comes out amazing!

It's food fit for a king!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Custard. Im thinking of making some this week.

And some pickled eggs.

Remember lemon curd can be canned and will keep for up to three months that way. It starts breaking down after that

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cook them & feed back to chickens. Save on feed costs and DH won't see this because they will be eaten. :idunno

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Perfect time of year to donate to the local homeless shelters or food banks, if they will take them. I used to donate my extra eggs to a local food bank and they were eager to get them. Try asking at your local senior center as well....those folks will often take excess veggies, fruit and eggs off your hands.
This is what I was going to suggest too!

Or get more egg customers. The more eggs you sell, the less money from your pocket for feed. BTW, it's amazing that you have so many eggs in the middle of winter. I wish I had that problem lol