what to do when youre in the wilderness?

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
And you have just gone to the bathroom, pee to be exact, and you need to wash your hands? Except you're out in the middle of nowhere... Use what mother nature gave you!! I was in a sage field (err on the side of a mountain in the middle of sage) so I reached down and just rubbed dirt/dried sage all over my hands. Voila, "washed" hands and they smelled nice to boot :)

Anyone else got good tips?

Also sorry for sporadic postings, I have a lot going on outside of here :/

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Make sure you know what leaves you grab to use as TP! I've heard of people using poison ivy! And, I've also heard of people developing a sensitivity to mullein leaves if they use them too often as TP.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Maybe carry some hand sanitizer with you? :idunno

At the very least you could work on your aim so as not to pee on your hands. :lol:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Make sure you know what leaves you grab to use as TP! I've heard of people using poison ivy! And, I've also heard of people developing a sensitivity to mullein leaves if they use them too often as TP.
That would be terrible with a capital TERRIBLE.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hand sanitizer is horrible for you. I grew up in an unsanitary home and was an hand sanitizer addict, now that I am out of there I am way healthier. Sage is a natural antiseptic, I loved using it :D

Lol, as for tp, that's why you always bring some!! Or kleenex/napkins.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MsPony said:
Lol, as for tp, that's why you always bring some!! Or kleenex/napkins.
LOL, every piece of clothing I own that has pockets has kleenex in it, just cuz you never know!! (an inheritance from my late mother, who believed in planning ahead) :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Maybe carry some hand sanitizer with you? :idunno

At the very least you could work on your aim so as not to pee on your hands. :lol:
Easy for you to say...you don't have to wipe! :rolleyes:

They make these neat little plastic doohickies that allow women to stand and pee...have you guys seen those? Wouldn't be a bad thing to have for camping trips. Of course, one could remodel a styrofoam or plastic cup to use in the same way..... :p

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I just find a handy bush to hide behind. And, they do make small rolls of TP for hiking. They're a bit more expensive than tissues, but don't take up as much room. So, I'll carry one w/me when I go trail riding or if I'm out on the tractor for several hours.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I'm not likely to get anything on my hands since I have done this so many times, But I always carry my steel water bottle, so I could rinse them some.