What to do with all that milk!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FEM, how is the cheese making etc going?
You might have to ask my DH! The last two batches he made alllll by himself! We've got cheese in the freezer, cheese in the fridge, and we'll probably make some more with tonight's milk. Cheese does not take as much room in the freezer or fridge!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Plus I'm a pasteurization freak

All personal choice, of course. :) I'm anti-pasteurization, lol. We do lots of raw dairy around here. I'd re-think it if I had a small child in the house though. The clabber has to be heated before making cottage cheese and the milk for the yogurt too - so it won't be exactly raw when done.

Then again I do this with store bought soured milk too but it comes out more like ricotta because of the pasteurization and homogenous nature

That's interesting because I've read that you can't do it with pasteurized milk... who knew?

I gave it a little taste just a few minutes ago and it's not the least bit repulsive - in fact, it tastes a little sweet. Guess it's not soured enough yet!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Started another batch of Chevre last night. I use fresh milk, right outta the goat. I put 8 cups into a nice flat pan....I dunno why, it's just the way I do it, lol.

chevre1.JPG

Then I add a little bit (1/8th tsp) of this:

chevre 2.JPG chevre 3.JPG

Then a TINY bit of a drop of rennet. chevre 4.JPG Recipe calls for about 1/4 of a drop - but I don't worry about dividing that drop anymore. I just drop a drop in it and call it good.

Cover it and set it aside for 18-24 hours.

chevre 5.JPG

All that's left is to hope it separates and solidifies, drain it (save that whey for the pigs or the dogs) then hang it to finish drying, add a little salt and whatever seasoning you like and devour it! I'll try to get pics of that, but it's all pretty easy from there.

Roasted garlic and rosemary is by far our favorite, but even just salted is great. I really should branch out to some other flavors.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Had a little more to do to complete the cheese.

It set up like it was supposed to. This pic is the solids and whey. chevre_1.JPG

Poured most of the whey off and this is what's left:

chevre_ 2.JPG

Poured it into a colander lined with cheesecloth and hung it to drain. It's not glamorous, I just tie it to one of the upper cabinet handles and let it drain overnight.
chevre 4.JPG

Tomorrow I need to decide if I want to flavor it or maybe just salt it and leave it simple.

Gonna go eat some of the previous batch of garlic/rosemary chevre with some crackers and veggies for my dinner.

This is seriously the easiest thing EVER to make. Literally takes about 2 minutes of actual prep and the rest is just drain and hang then flavor it.

I may try to get some different cultures and get a little more adventurous....eventually!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Isn't that crazy. I saw a recipe for ricotta just like that - made exactly the way I make cottage cheese. But, I saw other recipes that say ricotta is a whey product and cottage cheese is a milk product. I guess "traditional" ricotta is made with whey.

I need to get busy and process more of this milk into something not as liquid. Getting nearly 2 gallons a day some days. I don't want to let any of them dry up at this point. Might decide to sell one as a milker. In that case it would help if she had milk!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep you're right, I forgot it's traditionally made with whey. I made it with milk, so I basically made cottage cheese/ricotta lol. Either way it was good!

Yes when selling a milker it is helpful for her to have milk!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
HOLY COW! I have found the MOTHER of all recipes for using extra milk! Who knew????

Sweet Milk Liqueur
Does life get any better than this???

http://www.thekitchn.com/a-sweet-treat-homemade-milk-li-138124

Ya know I'll be making this, lol. But, I've gotta admit that the process might be less than appetizing at some point. Stay tuned!

Latest posts