Don't drink.
Don't drink coffee.
Don't have satellite or cable TV.
Don't have Netflix.
Don't have an RV or a gas hog vehicle.
Rarely eat out.
Rarely go to the movies.
Try to avoid the big W store.
Buy very little convenience foods like pizza.
Keep travel to a minimum except for those cross country trips to see the kids and grandkids.

Guess we could stay home and I could quit my job which would mean we could get rid of the second car but would also restrict our already limited travel.

Could drop the cell phones but they are the main means of long distance telephone.
If we drop the land line it means no internet. Internet is how I apply for jobs and keep up with current events.

Are already dropping some of the magazines but those are only about $15 a year for each subscription. Wouldn't even save $100 a year.

Could get rid of the chickens and two cats if money was the main issue. But the cats are keeping the mice down and most off us know about chickens.

We really don't have much that we could give up but I imagine if we looked hard we could find more ways to save.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Asperger's is a diagnosis, but I'm not sure of the perimeters of behavior for which they distinguish this disorder from the rest of the psychoses.
Just a small point - Asperger's isn't a 'psychoses' but a specific neurological condition on the Autism spectrum. Psychoses denotes mental illness, like schizophrenia or dementia. ADHD is considered to be on the autistic spectrum - and I am not psychotic (although some may argue the point sometimes!) :)

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
Beekissed said:
Asperger's is a diagnosis, but I'm not sure of the perimeters of behavior for which they distinguish this disorder from the rest of the psychoses.
Just a small point - Asperger's isn't a 'psychoses' but a specific neurological condition on the Autism spectrum. Psychoses denotes mental illness, like schizophrenia or dementia. ADHD is considered to be on the autistic spectrum - and I am not psychotic (although some may argue the point sometimes!) :)
Thank-you Reinbeau.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
YES!!! Nonstop when he is not reading or doing something like watching TV or playing on the computer. They tend to be very single-minded....almost obsessive, you could say. They will talk, talk, talk about whatever it is that they are fixated on at the moment. He can very rarely have a give and take conversation. Never asks questions that are not pertinent to his subject matter.

Joel is not as bad as the Asperger boy at church, but almost. I get to where I can hardly stop myself from saying, "Yeah, yeah, yeah....ten words or less here!" Very, very irritating and exhausting at times. I hate to say that about my own child but its the truth... :/
Just like the boy I know he is only 12 but looks like he is 8 or 9 by his size. And he is very intelligent!! But he just talks insiently(sp?) to you. You sit there going umhmm, umhmm, oh really? Over & over again. Nice kid too, but it can get on your nerves. I really try to not act annoyed as a nurse I realize it is all beyond his control & I try to use my compassion. His mom says it gets very annoying when trying to homeschool as he gets stuck on a subject & does not want to move on. They decided to homeschool because he was having a lot of problems in public school. Guess from what mainly...... TALKING!!! No brainer right? Luckily I have no children with any of these problems. It just sickens me how many kids get put on ritilan & other ADHD drugs, when a lot of it can be controlled with diet. I know with ds#2 when we went off all soy he got a lot calmer. So no soy products in our house & eliminated all convience foods too.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
Beekissed said:
Psychosis
Any disorder of higher mental processes of such severity that judgments pertaining to the reality of external events are significantly impaired. A wide range of conditions can bring about a psychotic state. They include schizophrenia, mania, depression, ingestion of drugs, withdrawal from drugs, liver or kidney failure, endocrine disorders, metabolic disorders, and Alzheimer's disease, epilepsy, and other neurologic dysfunctions. The dreams of normal sleep are a form of psychosis.
spectrum disorder
A spectrum disorder in psychiatry is hard to define precisely but is a mental disorder having something to do with a spectrum of subtypes or closely related disorders. The spectrum model is proposed as a more coherent way of understanding psychiatric symptomatology.

The widely-used DSM and ICD manuals are generally limited to categorical diagnoses but do recognize some subsyndromal subtypes: schizotypal personality disorder, dysthymia and cyclothymia. Some proposed spectra include a bipolar spectrum, a schizophrenia spectrum, an autistic spectrum, a Post-Traumatic Stress Spectrum, an obsessive-compulsive spectrum, a social anxiety spectrum, and a Panic-Agoraphobia Spectrum. Other 'higher-level' spectra are often proposed, which categorise disorders in to even fewer overarching spectra.
Just a medical term us folks use, but to a layperson it seems to have negative connotations...not necessarily so, where I work! :) What used to be called a mental "illness" back in the old days has been more aptly named a "disorder" now, as these people are not necessarily considered to have an organic illness of any type, but rather a set of symptoms that would suggest abnormal function. :)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Cable, Internet, Netflix, the second car, DH's antique Buick, new clothes, DS's gymnastics class, eating out at all (we rarely do now and that's usually no more than a pizza). We've already cut back a lot but this does help me see there's room to cut back more. I wouldn't be able to give up my animals.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My oldest son has always dealt with psychosis. He is almost always has impaired judment and views, but at times it gets severe enough that he does some really really crazy things that scare me. Now that he is older, and has gotten involved in street drugs he walks around in a drug induced state of psychosis most of the time. The police are always picking him up and bringing him to hospitals, but the psychiatrists wash thier hands of him very quickly and put him right back on the streets. He is homeless and lives in shelters. There is absolutely nothing I can do to help him because he is often dangerous to himself and others and the risk is way too high. It has been very difficult, so I understand those of you who deal with different kids more than you know:>)

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
reinbeau said:
Beekissed said:
Psychosis
Any disorder of higher mental processes of such severity that judgments pertaining to the reality of external events are significantly impaired. A wide range of conditions can bring about a psychotic state. They include schizophrenia, mania, depression, ingestion of drugs, withdrawal from drugs, liver or kidney failure, endocrine disorders, metabolic disorders, and Alzheimer's disease, epilepsy, and other neurologic dysfunctions. The dreams of normal sleep are a form of psychosis.
Just a medical term us folks use, but to a layperson it seems to have negative connotations...not necessarily so, where I work! :)
I'm not totally a lay person, having dealt with the DMS IV (III before that) with regards to the ADHD diagnosis and experiences we've had here. What bothers me about calling it a psychosis is that implies severe mental illness, the autism spectrum covers much that is not in any way psychotic. So I will always react to that definition. It sets a label on many that they don't deserve. I am ADHD hyperactive with some Asperger's symptoms, and I am anything but psychotic, all joking aside. I'm not trying to argue, just pointing out where labels can go seriously wrong.

I'm a firm believer that brain wiring, while it may be different, doesn't make one 'disabled' or mentally unless it seriously impairs their grasp of reality. I see things through my own lens, but that hasn't stopped my forward progression through life, and I credit that mainly with not having been labeled at a young age, as so many are now. I was 38 before I was 'diagnosed'. Didn't change a thing in my life, offered a bit of a perspective I hadn't been aware of, but I was still me - maybe better able to help my boys, who are also ADHD, find a little better path to follow....I'm rambling, I know, it's all part of it, my mind jumps from this to that.

Just wanted to let you know why I reacted that way.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
reinbeau said:
Beekissed said:
spectrum disorder
A spectrum disorder in psychiatry is hard to define precisely but is a mental disorder having something to do with a spectrum of subtypes or closely related disorders. The spectrum model is proposed as a more coherent way of understanding psychiatric symptomatology.

The widely-used DSM and ICD manuals are generally limited to categorical diagnoses but do recognize some subsyndromal subtypes: schizotypal personality disorder, dysthymia and cyclothymia. Some proposed spectra include a bipolar spectrum, a schizophrenia spectrum, an autistic spectrum, a Post-Traumatic Stress Spectrum, an obsessive-compulsive spectrum, a social anxiety spectrum, and a Panic-Agoraphobia Spectrum. Other 'higher-level' spectra are often proposed, which categorise disorders in to even fewer overarching spectra.
What used to be called a mental "illness" back in the old days has been more aptly named a "disorder" now, as these people are not necessarily considered to have an organic illness of any type, but rather a set of symptoms that would suggest abnormal function. :)
I understand the negative stigma associated with these types of disorders, but I think more and more people are being educated to this type of thing. It is slowly becoming more acceptable to seek treatment and therapy for disorders and there are more support and outreach groups. No need to apologize! :) I'm ADD myself, as is my youngest, my middle boy is dyslexic and my oldest, I strongly suspect, is Asperger's...so I meant no disrespect with my "outdated" terminology....I don't always keep up with policitically correct terms. :p

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I've had a request that we take this Asperger's discussion to a new thread. I do feel badly that I kind of lead it astray. I don't think we need to keep going with it, so back to Financial Management & Budgeting - What would you give up? ;)

It's all good.....

Latest posts