Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Um. I think my husband is going to give up his television! :lol: :gig

Or atleast I wish he would!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Things to give up.

The place we waste the most money is eating out.

No cell phone. No cable. No long distance.

Netflix is $9.00 a month for us.

Guess I'll have to start cooking every single night.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
It's the small things that take me down- like I had borrowed a fence post thumper from a friend who has insisted she didn't need it for a huge long time. But after awhile, I felt more and more guilty so when I saw some at the feed store, I bought it. Totally emotional buy- I felt guilty holding on to my friends so long without using it everyday so I made myself feel better by buy one rather than going out to finish my job.
Same with my recent purchase of an oil lantern and oil. Had to go to the hardware store as I shorted out my pellet stove (another story) and need a fuse. But while I was at the store, I saw the lantern and oil. I was feeling obligated to the store because two guys spent quite some time with me figuring out which fuse I needed (three over 50 people trying to read the small print on the fuses) which only cost a $1.60 for two. So I saw the oil lantern on the way out- it was only $9 and said to myself "well, I might need that," and bought it. The only trouble is that I have never used one, it looks like a cheap chinese ticky-tacky thing and I know I will be too nervous to ever use it. It will just be another thing in the way for years. But I did it with the totally irrational idea that I was thanking the guys who helped me.
Now it's not that these things were big money wasters but that I bought out of emotional wants rather that real wants. You would think that I would stop myself from doing these things- I do stop a lot but always there's a failure too.
Need an attitude adjustment- just can't find the right knob to turn. Arrggghhh

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't buy for emotional reasons of other people. Like your friend offering an unused fence thumper, I would keep it til done and return and not think twice about it......the guys at the store, a big smile and many thanks and be gone.

I understand your feelings though.
I do it different! LOL--yup, I do it too and I need my knob turned also! HA HA

I get to the store for 1 item and think, I might, MIGHT need "that" too. End up with more than needed. I impulse buy "junkier" items too when I buy fast. If I take my time and really want something, then I look thru a few stores and get quality for good price and am happy with the sale then.

I know.....we all do it in some form. A true thing I must change in me. Working on it...LOL...as you will be too.

I hear ya though! :)

Helena

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
That's a tough one. I don't eat out and don't watch television.

I'd write fewer letters. Maybe wear thermal underwear and turn the thermostat down one or two degrees.

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think we are at the point that getting ready to save is costing us. I had to buy 5 gallon plastic buckets and tops. I did ask around trying to find free ones. Bought a tiller so I can have a garden. Did get a great buy. 5hp rear tine tiller for 100.00 and 40.00 for minor repairs. I bought it knowing it needed carborator work. Paid 40.00 for a brand new delux turkey fryer from a co-worker. Cutting down on grandkids Christmas and will give my kids some money. One son just lost his job and has a young son and a baby on the way. His wife is in School until Jan. I work at the east coast bank that was bought by the west coast bank. Husband is self employeed.

Also have a couple friends I exchange gifts with and we decided this year will be home made.

I am no longer giving away my eggs and tell friends a small donation to feed. So I get anywhere from 1.00 to 2.50 a dozen.

The only thing I have left I really want to buy is an incubator. I have a 250.00 gift card I have horded from work and I think I will cash in and buy a top hatch from amazon. Can use the other 100.00 for either a target card or a home depot card.

We need to stop eating out. Usually we only go out on Thursday nights with a group of friends that we have been doing this with for 14 years so that is a hard habit to break.

I have only bought a couple of pieces of clothing for winter. I have decided there is nothing wrong with what I already own. I do however need a pair of waterproof boots.

We have an electric mattress pad on the bed and let the temps drop to 55 in the house at night.

I shop at Aldi's for as much as I can. Husband hunts so we eat a lot of venison. I have started canning and making most of our bread. It is a start. We are still doing a lot wrong but doing some things right.

Susan

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey cackle
you caught my attention with the electric mattress pad.
I never seen one. How do you like it?
just wondering.
might be a great choice for our bedroom and one on Nicole's bed. that way I can truly turn down the heat.

just wondering what your review is?

thanks

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ive been there before myself. Didnt have cable tv for 8 years till last year we got the satellite. So I could give up...

1. I could take my satellite to the $25 plan, other wise we woldnt have any tv and kids wouldnt like that. No antenna here.

2. Netflix has been cut before and could again.

3. Only go to town once a week if I really had to, its almost to that now with gas prices the way they were.

We already live at a minimum so theres not a whole lot that could go. My cell phone is prepaid and only costs $30 every other month, I need it if my son should have a seizure or get sick at school. Internet is only $15 a month and I need it for my business.

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
hey cackle
you caught my attention with the electric mattress pad.
I never seen one. How do you like it?
just wondering.
might be a great choice for our bedroom and one on Nicole's bed. that way I can truly turn down the heat.

just wondering what your review is?

thanks
We had the electric mattress pads growing up. They were not near as nice as the ones available today and you could feel the wires.

We bought the biddeford brand and would buy another in a heartbeat and should for the guest room. The queen and king size have duel controls. I turn it on about 30 minutes before bed and crawl into a nice toasty bed. They say because you have the heat of the pad under you and your cover over you get a better nights sleep than when you have the heat all coming from over you.

There are other brands out there I just found the best price at that time was the Biddeford.

http://www.electricblanket.net/p-32-biddeford-quilted-heated-mattress-pad-digital.aspx

Susan

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks so much cackle
I believe this is what I am going to get. having a king, tony and I can control our own sides. and having one for Nicole means I don't have to worry about her throwing off blankets and being cold.

I like the idea of the bed being warm from underneath vs. an elec. blanket.

thanks alot! :)

I love the things you learn on this board! :)

Latest posts