What's for dinner?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That is weird. Developing an allergy maybe? Better off taking an occasional rash instead of stopping which could make it get life threatening.

I can't digest onions properly. Cooking well helps but I have to limit it usually. I must eat a little raw occasionally or I will be sick and in a lot of pain when I accidentally get some. It's a genetic thing as a good portion of the family on Mom's side has the same issue. Grandma said that Great Grandma also had issues.

it would be strange as i've eaten a lot of garlic my whole life. i'm limiting it now but still some amounts here or there. trying to find the amoun that won't set off the rash but i can still taste. as i'm used to eating garlic as i pull it from the ground and like it raw and cooked in a lot of things i make it's not something i want to give up completely. the connection to other issues i have it is possible that my immune system finally linked them and goes on the attack. any sulfides, sulfates, etc. also give me problems. up until about 6years ago i was fine and then this rash stuff kicked in. i gave up tomatoes almost completely for 3 years to see if that helped and it did by coincidence, but once in a while i'd still have the reaction so it wasn't until this past year that i connected it to the garlic and now i'm not having as many so that's good but i do miss eating a lot of garlic once in a while. ah well, i'm sure there are worse things to go through... :)

i do have other auto-immune stuff going on so that's likely the culprit, but it has never been so bad that i care to get complicated treatments for what is happening. if i can get through life by avoiding the worst side-effects then i'm ok.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
@flowerbug you are not alone. The wife has issues with sulfides, too. I have become very adept at reading labels. We have come to realize the sheer number of grocery store vegetables and fruits treated with sulfide compounds. Lettuce is a huge no go, unless it's local hydroponic stuff. Her immunology related issues is one of my huge motivators for finding a place

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@flowerbug you are not alone. The wife has issues with sulfides, too. I have become very adept at reading labels. We have come to realize the sheer number of grocery store vegetables and fruits treated with sulfide compounds. Lettuce is a huge no go, unless it's local hydroponic stuff. Her immunology related issues is one of my huge motivators for finding a place

Mom has even worse reactions to some things than i do. we hardly go out to eat anyplace any longer because we can never tell what is going to happen from whatever spices or additives in their foods and the results just are not worth it. for her she can have blisters in her mouth for a week afterwards. :( no fun for sure. so we do cook a lot of our own foods and keep it simple.

what is super bad is that even a place that we've frequented for over 45yrs can have changes to the cooks and then we have to sort it all out again.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Or c
Mom has even worse reactions to some things than i do. we hardly go out to eat anyplace any longer because we can never tell what is going to happen from whatever spices or additives in their foods and the results just are not worth it. for her she can have blisters in her mouth for a week afterwards. :( no fun for sure. so we do cook a lot of our own foods and keep it simple.

what is super bad is that even a place that we've frequented for over 45yrs can have changes to the cooks and then we have to sort it all out again.
Or changing suppliers. Yep

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I didn't get the whole bird but, only a couple fried chicken breasts. A treat as I don't often fry when I only want one or two pieces. 😁 on way home I though I'd have some pickled beets, too. Forgot to get a jar out before I had eaten the chicken.

So, now I'm thinking a glass of wine and to bed soon. Hope I remember both. :lol: