What's for dinner?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Since I made a fire to burn out some new paint cans, I decided I needed dessert.

The cans were new and empty. Will be using them to make charcoal.

20210913_191223.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Since I made a fire to burn out some new paint cans, I decided I needed dessert.

The cans were new and empty. Will be using them to make charcoal.

View attachment 16602
One of my son in laws makes his own charcoal. I like it when he comes for a visit, he brings me 4 5 gallon buckets full of his home made charcoal. Kingsford ain't got nothing on him I can tell you that. Simply no comparison in taste and cooking/smoking temperature control.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of my son in laws makes his own charcoal. I like it when he comes for a visit, he brings me 4 5 gallon buckets full of his home made charcoal. Kingsford ain't got nothing on him I can tell you that. Simply no comparison in taste and cooking/smoking temperature control.

Does he have a kiln for it? I'd like a dual purpose kiln I could close off for making charcoal as well. I found plans for one woodburner kiln that used a rocket stove to power it.

The paint cans are for artist charcoal sticks. I'll be cutting and peeling willow to use for that.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Does he have a kiln for it? I'd like a dual purpose kiln I could close off for making charcoal as well. I found plans for one woodburner kiln that used a rocket stove to power it.

The paint cans are for artist charcoal sticks. I'll be cutting and peeling willow to use for that.
I honestly do not know and have not seen his setup for making charcoal. I would txt him but it's kind of late since he's on the east coast. I'll try and remember to txt him tomorrow though. He only makes charcoal out of cherry or hickory which for us in the Midwest, is the bee's knees for BBQing. If I had to guess I'm thinking something with 55 gallon drums. He's a welder by trade, so who knows what he came up with? But I'll find out for you.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Ok I remembered 😂 not that I completely understand how it works or anything. But here's pictures and a high level explanation. I guessed partially right there is a 55 gallon drum involved.
Screenshot_20210914-212513~2.png

Screenshot_20210914-212522~2.png

Screenshot_20210914-212535~2.png

Screenshot_20210914-212615~2.png

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll ask him for you.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I understand how that works. It's a pretty simple set up.

Thanks a bunch

No worries, glad to help or maybe not help. But what's truly amazing is I remembered 😂.

His set up looks simple enough, glad you understand it, because I don't.