What's for dinner?

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A couple of days ago I made a mexican soup. Two quarts of home canned broth, 1 C lentils ( cus I have pounds of them!), dehydtated onion, kale, and anything else that was available and old, some home ground sausage, can of creamed corn (cus I have too many), 2T of preminced garlic, some carrots and celery. 1 C of rice cus I wanted less liquid. Gobs of taco seasoning. Simmered in crock pot all day. Put in frig overnight.

Then heated and served with tortilla chips, fresh avo, cheese, sour cream and some mango salsa.

Since I have no idea how to cook small amounts, I haveenjoyed it for lunch the last two days, and will have it again for dinner tonite. And there will be still more left. But boy oh boy is it good!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
A couple of days ago I made a mexican soup. Two quarts of home canned broth, 1 C lentils ( cus I have pounds of them!), dehydtated onion, kale, and anything else that was available and old, some home ground sausage, can of creamed corn (cus I have too many), 2T of preminced garlic, some carrots and celery. 1 C of rice cus I wanted less liquid. Gobs of taco seasoning. Simmered in crock pot all day. Put in frig overnight.

Then heated and served with tortilla chips, fresh avo, cheese, sour cream and some mango salsa.

Since I have no idea how to cook small amounts, I haveenjoyed it for lunch the last two days, and will have it again for dinner tonite. And there will be still more left. But boy oh boy is it good!
You can always double your recipe and can a few quarts!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ham&cheese on crackers, hot tea. 🤷 Not in the mood to cook and there this was in frig...tasted good. 👍

Now, it feels like it should be 10, not 6:30! That's what it would be in summer with longer daylight. 😞. I'm programmed that way now....wouldn't be in until dark at 8-9 pm. This is annoying for me.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Your soup sounds delicious. I have a tendency to cook BIG too! Thankfully, both DH and I don't mind dinner re-do's! Soup is one of our faves!

we redo and also freeze some when we make veggie soup - if we're cooking a pot of something it often ends up at least several gallons worth (if not two or three pots).

supposedly today was the last time we were having to pack up the food Mom has been making the past few days so from now on it will only be baked items. we'll see... no more feeding of other people meals unless they come over or something? i dunno how this will work... :) she's been doing this for so long and is so used to it i'm not sure she's going to be able to make just a little of something. her idea is that if she's making a mess she might as well make it worth it (like this morning with the bran muffins she made a hundred). i do a lot of dishes. at least ten times in the past three days (not counting the few times she washed some things too).

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Taco soup made with home canned ground beef, home canned black beans, dehydrated corn and onions and of course taco flavoring mix - store bought, lol. Has anyone ever made their own seasoning mix for tacos? I'm sure there's a recipe out there somewhere - but buying those little packets is pretty easy, lol.

Oh, there will be cornbread!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Taco soup made with home canned ground beef, home canned black beans, dehydrated corn and onions and of course taco flavoring mix - store bought, lol. Has anyone ever made their own seasoning mix for tacos? I'm sure there's a recipe out there somewhere - but buying those little packets is pretty easy, lol.

Oh, there will be cornbread!

i much prefer more simple blends for a lot of mexican dishes. roasted dry peppers, when done go into the blender and with some water, until pureed, then into the pan where you've fried some meat and garlic. simmer a while. added other spices to the blender as desired, ground cumin, coriander (aka seeds of cilantro), the mixes can often have fillers and salt that we don't need because we think the meat has enough salt in it as it is. msg sometimes can kick off headaches for both of us. a little is ok, but sometimes just a little more is asking for trouble.

the other thing with the mixes is that they always taste the same. with using other ingredients you can have more variety of flavors (and heat :) ).