What's for dinner?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tonight I'll have bbq 😁 have no slaw but....

While oven going, I added a pan with butternut squash -- two were looking soft at end, so they needed cooked. Saved seed. Peel and other toss parts are being cooked to toss to chickens. They eat peel if cooked to soften...so, no waste. Late day I will do a pan of brownies....while oven going. I need some chocolate to balance this gloomy, inside day. :old.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yum! DH created this last night, Korean Style BBQ Pork and Broccoli:

1633788304529.png

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I cooked a smoked pork shoulder. Really good! Had some sweet potatoes from my canning stores, some collards with broth. Early holiday meal?? Good anyway. Shared some of the meat with both kids. Plenty left for later in week, plus. Will make pot of beans with bone in coming weekend. More freezer fodder! Cats will get some fats. Then DS dogs get bones. :) Something for everyone.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Made some beef stew yesterday to use up last of a London broil. Today I have a pkg of chicken breast that DS handed me yesterday to cook. Not planned but, will make it work. Something oven -- warm the house! Guess I'll get beans going with the ham broth and crock pot, as well, for tomorrow. Get all that used. Problem? Yep. No freezer space this week for a lot of container meals.

Also, need to process about 20# of elderberries I had to remove from freezer yesterday....to fit the shopping trip stuff in. :thGuess I'll take this big turkey and a ham to DDs freezer, giving room here. Usually a lot of room there! She's a true minimalist!!! I am NOT buying another freezer!!! Thaw and can before that. :old

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
last night i wanted some soup so i used up a few tiny onions by slicing them added a bit of water and then nuked for two minutes, then i added mushroom soup, some cream cheese spread, some milk, and a shot of hot sauce. stirred, warmed up, stirred again, topped with some cheddar cheese chex mix. voila! :) who says i can't cook?! haha! :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If everyone would use the food they have, what a revelation! So much is wasted in this country...it's shameful. A reason why organizations work to glean fields and teach others to use the "ugly" pieces by trimming. It's still good folks!

Our forefathers used, saved and ate out of necessity. I often think of the actions/habits of my own family members from many years back. At the time, some seemed fun, some not needed. I was a child. Now, I realize WHY they saved a bag, made things with aging milk, ugly veggies, stale breads. It was survival. Not so much $$ floating back then. What you had was treasured and truly appreciated. Being old as dirt, having "hillbilly" roots, I sure saw and experienced a great amount of self reliance happening!! Grateful for every minute.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
tonight is an easy dinner salad and sandwiches. lunch is acorn squash with this years maple syrup drizzled on.

Tomorrow will be a day of harvest foods from this year. We don't do a traditional dinner but will have some root veggies, fresh bread and a chicken that was harvested this spring. Home-grown Thanksgiving.