What's for dinner?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've had a bit of an aversion to beans since hubby's mom served us beans for dinner one time when we were visiting. Just kidney beans. Cooked in water. Nothing else. We were served about 2 cups of cooked beans each.

Mind you, we offered to go buy groceries or take them out to dinner. The fridge was full and not empty.

We still don't know what his mom was trying to punish us for. We'd just drove from Virginia Beach, VA to Jasper, TX and were tired.

It actually put me off of my favorite bean soups for a long while, too. I love making tasty bean soups.

Of course she also decided to repeatedly forced me to eat liver for dinner when she heard I didn't like it. I had to be polite and it eat. Hubby knew that all of us kids in my family knew how to cut up and swallow the foul stuff without chewing it. We were poor growing up and everything got eaten.

My sweet hubby also would snag some of it off my plate after he'd ask his mom for something and she'd get up. He likes the taste.

I cook him liver just for him sometimes. I get oysters those nights. He hates the taste of those.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The only liver and onions I will gladly eat, is my mother in-law's, it's delicious. What we don't eat, my 3rd oldest son will gladly finish off. Anyone else's including my mother's, not so good.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like most all bean soups, bean dishes. Like calf liver & onions. Like small, fried oysters. But -- beans must be seasoned. I thought that was what a ham hock was for :D

I make a beef, cabbage & kidney bean soup that is really good. But my fav is slow cooked great northerns & ham bone/broth.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I did have ham and bean soup last week. I actually like to add beans to all my soups.

I'm just really cautious and paranoid when someone offers a bean dish now.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I will mention that liver is extremely good for healthy eaters. Provides things that the brain needs to function, among other body function/interactions. Also, our free range eggs (esp yolks) -- same deal. Cholesterol issues? Fresh, free range eggs have almost 1/3 less per than the "factory farm" ones... plus extra Vit D.

Moms altzhimers brought a whole new level of research for me. It has tweaked my diet choices to a more concerned level. In general, the organic, self grown foods provide more vit/min assets because we strive for better soil that provides plants & animals with better fuel. I've always known and cooked this way but, have gained far more interest in the inter action of foods once consumed. Nutrient rich sources for me.

As always, color rules!! Eat the red, yellow and greens. Fermenting is better for us -- it isn't JUST for preservation. Nature didn't give us granulated sugar :D but whole fruits. Our eggs, meats, milk, veggies are all better for us.

Lifestyle choices.

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So... I don't care for liver but question... since the liver's job is to filter out junk, does it not accumulate junk you wouldn't want to eat?

Latest posts