What's for dinner?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like gravy. 😁. Make own, like you obviously do. It cleans the pan up, too. :lol: :old

cleans the pan, uses the fat instead of throwing it away or feeding it to the animals. in ancient times when food was scarce you couldn't afford to waste a single calorie. on top of that, gravy can hide a multitude of sins, over-cooked meat that has the texture of sawdust. just think of it as the lazy person's post-cooking marinade...

overcooking meat was also probably a form of self-defense when the meat may have been a bit spoiled.

i like gravy too. :) the last time we had burgers i didn't make a gravy from the pan drippings but i did use a bunch of mushrooms to deglaze the pan and start the cleanup. yum. we loves mushrooms. :)

I had pizza last night. It's not often I do, just because. Was a nice change.

:)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hamburger 'steaks' in gravy with mashed potatoes and broccoli.

I still don't get why people started freaking out about gravy back in the 80s. It's mostly water with only a couple tablespoons of flour and fat. No one gets that many calories from it unless they are drinking pitchers full and that's still better than soda. Mom counts carbs for insulin and an actual portion of gravy is only 1-2 carbs.

i remember many a meal as a kid where Mom would broil a steak into crumbly fried submission and we'd all be cutting tiny cubes of meat and chewing it forever and then having to wash it down with milk. it wasn't until some years later that she disovered the bliss of rare steaks. a vast improvement.

now when making burgers i do have to get them near well done because i just don't trust ground meat any longer. while i would love to have it cold-center. can't do that any more. once in a while a bit of pink. that's ok. miss tartare...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They turned out quite yummy!

Attachments

• 4C9F70B2-9CA3-454F-AAED-9A3A00B2839C.jpeg
    4C9F70B2-9CA3-454F-AAED-9A3A00B2839C.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 73

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i made a simple waldorf salad for both of us (no celery and no marachino cherries - those got used up the other day making chocolate cherry cookies - so it was walnuts, apples, some Miracle Whip and powdered sugar, while cutting up the apples i mix them with some lemon juice to keep them from getting brown) and had that for dinner and as a dessert Mom had just taken some Boston Brown Bread out of the oven so that was game on with some butter on it. glass of milk.